Monday, August 26, 2019

I do not know how it happened.

I have a few substantive posts in the works, but in the meantime let me draw your attention to a very bizarre feature of Google Translate, discovered by chance by one of my students. If you enter an English word or phrase and add spaces between the letters, the Chinese translation changes in very unpredictable ways. For example:


For those who don't read Chinese (i.e., most of my readers), here are those results translated back into English:


"I am a comedian"? "I am an unwelcome person"? I do not know how it happened!

Most phrases don't yield as much semantic diversity as "This is a rhinoceros"; more often most of the results are at least marginally related to the meaning of the original sentence. For example, here is "Make love, not war" as translated when progressively more spaces are added.


No comments:

Annunciation rescheduled to coincide with eclipse

I just saw this on Ann Barnhardt's blog : March 25th is the fixed date of the great Feast of the Annunciation… BUT since March 25th fall...