I just happened to teach the following two passages in two different classes on the same day. They're from two different books, published by two different companies, with two different pedagogical purposes -- but they both mention riding a unicycle on a high wire in a circus. (Neither actually uses the word unicycle, though; both instead describe it as a one-wheeled bicycle.)
"Hannah works in a circus. She rides a bike with one tire. . . . 'Sometimes I ride my bike on a high wire.'" The passage is from a phonics unit focusing on "ire" and "ore."
"Most Chinese acrobats join the circus . . . . acrobats use 'monocycles' (bicycles with one wheel). . . . Brave acrobats walk, cycle, or jump on a wire that is high in the air." The passage is for general reading comprehension, and for students to discuss using comparative and superlative adjectives.
(By the way, what planet is the author of that second passage from? "Monocycles"? "Gastriloquists"? Is that some sort of Philip Pullman alternate-history English or what?)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular posts
-
Following up on the idea that the pecked are no longer alone in their bodies , reader Ben Pratt has brought to my attention these remarks by...
-
In a comment on " Drill, baby, drill! " Bill writes, referring to my posts about the poem by Christina Rossetti: The last, and it ...
-
“ Turnum outknaves all three ” sent me back to my 2023 dream post “ Narrative Reasoning ,” which begins with a quote from Turnus and ends wi...
-
It's been a while since I clicked for a randomly selected /x/ thread . I tried it today just in the spirit of "Is this thing on?...
-
But Men shall remember Atlantis's name Come hell or high water! Sith both of them came, It rests unforgotten, and what we now tell Skill...
-
Back on August 17, Bruce Charlton posted an episode from the old children's TV show Pipkins (which I had never heard of), in which Hart...
-
Mark your calendars, and in the meantime find something else to read. Note added: For those who have asked, nothing is wrong, and my decisi...
-
My mention of a "Buddhist text" in my last post was probably misleading, making it sound like I was poring over Mahayana scriptur...
-
In a comment on " Ascending to the black star ," Bill brought up a game called The Blue Prince , and so on a random whim I searche...
-
This morning, a preschooler dropped a case of alphabet stamps. These had been in alphabetical order, but when he picked them up, he paid no ...


No comments:
Post a Comment