I just happened to teach the following two passages in two different classes on the same day. They're from two different books, published by two different companies, with two different pedagogical purposes -- but they both mention riding a unicycle on a high wire in a circus. (Neither actually uses the word unicycle, though; both instead describe it as a one-wheeled bicycle.)
"Hannah works in a circus. She rides a bike with one tire. . . . 'Sometimes I ride my bike on a high wire.'" The passage is from a phonics unit focusing on "ire" and "ore."
"Most Chinese acrobats join the circus . . . . acrobats use 'monocycles' (bicycles with one wheel). . . . Brave acrobats walk, cycle, or jump on a wire that is high in the air." The passage is for general reading comprehension, and for students to discuss using comparative and superlative adjectives.
(By the way, what planet is the author of that second passage from? "Monocycles"? "Gastriloquists"? Is that some sort of Philip Pullman alternate-history English or what?)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular posts
-
I checked the Duckstack today and read the latest, " Comb Tomb ." One bit is about crime: Most nonviolent crime is a crime of oppo...
-
I post at Winking Back from the Dark , but only to make a terrible pun. Don't say you weren't warned!
-
Following up on the idea that the pecked are no longer alone in their bodies , reader Ben Pratt has brought to my attention these remarks by...
-
But Men shall remember Atlantis's name Come hell or high water! Sith both of them came, It rests unforgotten, and what we now tell Skill...
-
I've been dreaming about books again . I remember the blurb on the back cover said, "One of the most horrifying books of the d...
-
In a July 19 post -- not to be confused with the present one! -- called " I've been a miner for a heart of gold ," I connect t...
-
At the moment, the last post in the algorithm-generated "Poplar posts" list at the bottom of this blog is " Chubby Checker, g...
-
The juxtaposition of a hermit with a hart, sometimes merged into a single "humanoid deer creature," has been a sync theme recently...
-
After work this evening, I checked America's flagship meme post and saved this one: I've never seen the 1987 Arnold Schwarzenegger m...
-
Since my post " A white hart and a portal to a parallel world " (June 10), the Hermit card of the Tarot of the Divine, which inclu...


No comments:
Post a Comment