Sunday, December 29, 2019

Tut, Tut!

Today (December 28, 2019; note the date) two of my English classes -- using two different textbooks by two different publishers based in two different countries -- both happened to feature exercises in which the students had to practice (two different) grammar points by making sentences about Tutankhamen.

Let King Tut teach you about personal pronouns and possessives . . .

. . . and past passive sentences, too!

(Notice also, as a subsidiary coincidence, the prominence of the numerals 3 and 4 on the two pages.)

In other news, Egypt Today reports:

"Largest coffee cup mosaic of King Tut's mask" -- a competitive field!

2 comments:

Bruce Charlton said...

The significance is that you need to study the disastrous rule of Akhenaten and its reversal by King Tut - and learn that mono-theism is not necessarily better than poly-. But then, you already knew that.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

I am not and never have been a monotheist, so yes, I already knew that. However, I didn't know that Tut was Akhenaten's son and reversed his monotheistic reforms -- although I suppose I should have inferred as much from the fact (mentioned in the first textbook) that both he and his wife originally had theophoric names ending in "-aten," names which were later changed "as a result of political changes." I even mentioned to one of my students that the changes were probably religious rather than political, since they involved replacing one god's name with another's, but I didn't make the connection that it was that religious change. (As you can see, my Egyptian history is extremely sketchy.)

Susan, Aslan, and dot-connecting

On April 22, William Wright posted " Shushan! ", which included a clip from the James Bond spoof movie  Johnny English Reborn  in ...