The Chinese name means, roughly, "safety and trust." It's pronounced Anfu, and I guess they decided amber was a reasonably close phonetic approximation. (The name Amber is usually rendered in Chinese as Anbo. Baltic amber is called hupo, and ambergris is longxianxiang, literally "dragon saliva fragrance.")
Monday, June 9, 2025
Amber yet again
Today I went to four different animal hospitals, none of which were able to help me. Googling for any others in the area, I found one more that I'd never heard of and went there. They had what I needed. Not until I had arrived did I find out that they had an English name in addition to the Chinese one lsited on Google:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular posts
-
Following up on the idea that the pecked are no longer alone in their bodies , reader Ben Pratt has brought to my attention these remarks by...
-
In a comment on " Drill, baby, drill! " Bill writes, referring to my posts about the poem by Christina Rossetti: The last, and it ...
-
“ Turnum outknaves all three ” sent me back to my 2023 dream post “ Narrative Reasoning ,” which begins with a quote from Turnus and ends wi...
-
Mark your calendars, and in the meantime find something else to read. Note added: For those who have asked, nothing is wrong, and my decisi...
-
It's been a while since I clicked for a randomly selected /x/ thread . I tried it today just in the spirit of "Is this thing on?...
-
But Men shall remember Atlantis's name Come hell or high water! Sith both of them came, It rests unforgotten, and what we now tell Skill...
-
Back on August 17, Bruce Charlton posted an episode from the old children's TV show Pipkins (which I had never heard of), in which Hart...
-
This morning, a preschooler dropped a case of alphabet stamps. These had been in alphabetical order, but when he picked them up, he paid no ...
-
In a comment on " Ascending to the black star ," Bill brought up a game called The Blue Prince , and so on a random whim I searche...
-
My mention of a "Buddhist text" in my last post was probably misleading, making it sound like I was poring over Mahayana scriptur...

No comments:
Post a Comment