Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Triangular number congruence patterns proven

Kevin McCall, whose name you may recognize because his thoughts on dice and the Tarot (qv) have appeared on this blog in the past, has worked out a proof of the congruence patterns in the series of triangular numbers which I postulated here. He has proven that the series of triangular numbers reduced modulo k repeats itself, that the repetition has a period of k (if k is odd) or 2k (if k is even), and that the repeating series is always palindromic.

I have only seen his proof of the first of those statements; I am not going to look at the remainder of his proof until after I have proven it myself independently -- at which point I will post both his proof and mine.

No comments:

Knowledge is baking powder, France is baking.

Last night (the night of April 17), I visited Engrish.com , a site I used to check fairly regularly but hadn't been to in, oh, years pro...