Friday, October 18, 2019

Hungry Eyes


I've always like the Eric Carmen song "Hungry Eyes" (despite having once had a weird nightmare vision triggered by it, as I shall perhaps relate in another post) -- but the English teacher in me cringes every time I hear the repeated line, "I feel the magic between you and I."

Today it suddenly occurred to me that, since it obviously can't be "between you and I," the line in question must actually be "between U and I" -- i.e., between the 21st and 9th letters of the alphabet -- and the letter located precisely halfway between those two is the 15th letter, O.

The Latin letter O looks identical to, and is descended from, the Phoenician letter ʿayin -- whose name means "eye" (cf. the coincidentally similar archaic English plural eyen).

The Chinese word for "hungry" is 餓 -- which, in the Wade-Giles system of romanization, would be transcribed o.

No comments:

Susan, Aslan, and dot-connecting

On April 22, William Wright posted " Shushan! ", which included a clip from the James Bond spoof movie  Johnny English Reborn  in ...