Monday, August 3, 2026

Traveling eternity road in a Suit of Many Colors

Over lunch, I read in Normon Spinrad's sci-fi novel Child of Fortune about Pater Pan, known for his distinctive patchwork Traje de Luces, or Suit of Many Colors, deciding to leave the planet where he is the king of the Gypsy Jokers, intending to travel to every single inhabited planet, in search of immortality.

This reminded me of something I saw here in Taiwan roughly 20 years ago. I thought I might still have a photo of it somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. It was a box of tissues, on the bottom of which were these lines of English verse:

We wish for eternal life
It may be all that will suffice
Like the myriad clothes we wear
We will wish everywhere

I connected this with Pater Pan because of his Traje de Luces, made up of patches taken from countless garments, so that he is in a sense wearing "myriad clothes"; and because his "wish for eternal life" is going to take him "everywhere" in the inhabited universe.

The association of eternal life with space travel made me think of the Ray Thomas song "Eternity Road," from the Moody Blues' 1969 concept album To Our Children's Children's Children.


Approximately 10 minutes after reading that passage in Child of Fortune and thinking of the tissue box and the Moody Blues song, I was on the road, and this scooter stopped in front of me at a red light.


The lady on the scooter is wearing a garishly colorful jacket -- suggestive of Pater Pan's Suit of Many Colors -- with the word ETERNITY in big letters. As in the Moody Blues song, she's on the road, and the alphabetic portion of her license plate is MDY, suggesting Moody.

An MDY plate that reminded be of the Moody Blues was previously featured on this blog, in "The Moody Blues, Embody the Soul, snails and ammonites, stars and stones, blue ball of light" (September 2023).


Note added: I guess I'll put this here, since it relates to Child of Fortune. A few nights ago I had a dream of which I can't remember much except that people in the dream referred to me as Fortune. In a moment of hypnopompic lucidity, I thought, "Oh, that must mean that the point-of-view character in this dream is not me but Dion Fortune." Upon fully waking, I of course realized that Fortune could just as easily refer to me. As mentioned in "Voyage d'ark" (May 12), I bought Child of Fortune "for no other reason than that it had my name on it."

Speaking of voyages d'ark, I recently started reading The Synchronicity Key by David Wilcock. I'd been exploring those strange corners of the Internet where Mormonism overlaps with Raëlian-style Space Brothers beliefs, and Wilcock's name kept coming up. When I looked him up, I naturally chose to start with the book with synchronicty in the title. I downloaded it, not really knowing what to expect, and was surprised to find in the table of contents that the 12th chapter is titled "Joan of Arc Rises Again."

No comments:

Popular posts