Sunday, August 2, 2026

Agog for the Cola Wars

As I have mentioned before, I regularly have to create cloze tests for which write a brief article using a dozen or so of the vocabulary items from a list the students have memorized. I then blank out those words, and the students have to decide which word goes in which blank. Since the lists of target words have no thematic unity (Paul Nation has shown to my satisfaction that memorizing groups of semantically related words is less effective), coming up with a topic which can incorporate several words from the list is an enjoyable challenge, and past topics have ranged from Stonehenge to sleeping sickness to the Gunpowder Plot. Yesterday (August 1), inspired by the inclusion of the words sip and similarity on the target list, I wrote an article about Coke, Pepsi, and the Cola Wars.

Today I was catching up on some blogs and read Maolsheachlann's post "The First Defenestration of Prague," which was published on July 30 but which I did not read until just now. It's a list of historical events that have "unique and often poetic names," and here's how the post ends:

The Battle of Britpop: When Oasis and Blur both released their new singles on the same day in 1995, prompting intense media speculation on which of them would reach number one. Blur won the battle, although Oasis won the war. (I like to joke: "I saw some hard times. I lived through the Cola Wars and the Battle of Britpop.")

You get the point. Any other suggestions? I'm agog.

Janelle Monae doesn't really enunciate the final consonant in cold, and I like to imagine that she's singing, "This is a Cola War / You better know what you're fighting for."


Maolsheachlann's use of agog -- the last word in his post -- reminded me of "Baggu ash-ni fire-dwell a gog ifluaren bansil este repose" (March 2024), in which I tried to decipher some of Bill's "words." Here's what I wrote about a gog:

a gog:

The sync fairies seem to be insisting that this is what G stands for. Gog is proper name, so the use of a is anomalous. Various interpretations suggest themselves. It could mean not the Gog but just a Gog, or it could be meant to suggest the word agog -- which could be (a) the English adverb, (b) the Greek for "leader," or (c) a word halfway between Gog and Magog. I don't really get what Gog means, even at the symbolic level, so I'm not really sure where to go with this.

Then in the comments I added

Perhaps a gog relates to French à gogo, "galore."

The Janelle Monae song, with it's repeated lines "You better know what you're fighting for" and "Do you know what you're fighting for?" made me think of the Country Joe and the Fish song "I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-to-Die Rag" (1967).


I don't know that song at all well. I didn't even know what it was called or who sang it until I looked it up just now. I was thinking of these lines from the chorus:

And it's 1, 2, 3
What are we fighting for?

When I looked up the lyrics, I was surprised to find that they also include this:

Well come on Wall Street don't move slow
Why man, this is war-a-go-go

5 comments:

Ra1119bee said...

William,
Interestingly while googling 1234, I came across a
song I have never heard before. When I read the lyrics
and once again I thought: hmmmm, that's odd.

Here's a portion of the lyrics: asterisks mine
"I was on my way back over
Stopped to pick a four-leaf clover
Wishbone broke, I think I like my odds
I'll wait for the dust to settle
***I'll keep picking red rose*** petals
Love me, love me, love me, love me, love me not

Is it lucky, lucky you? Is it lucky little me?
Is it ****2022? Is it 3033?
****Got a bird's eye *** view,
found a ***penny**** on the street
So I'll take my chances


It's 12:34 and I'm outside your apartment
Only have sixty seconds to line up our stars
I couldn't wait any longer, ***so I'm here at your door***
*****I missed 11:11,***** I'll wish on 12:34
~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
Interesting about 11: 11, and as I've commented so many
times, I had my 11:11 experience in 2003.
In 2003 there was little to no information about 11:11
that I could find online. The internet was in its infancy.
Youtube didn't launch until 2005.

The song 12:34 by The Band CAMINO was released
Oct 6, 2025.
Oct 6 being only 3 days away from Oct 3 and
my tulip dream.
Of course my tulip dream was in '21, not '25.

The mention in the lyrics of a penny was interesting.
A penny is copper. Copper is an energy conduit,
and, according to the lyrics, a Bird can see it from afar.

In the 1960 H.G. Well's movie, The Time Machine',
the protagonist H.George Wells played by Rob Taylor
designs a Time Machine made of copper.

Regarding Country Joe and the Fish,
I found this interesting:
copy and paste:
"I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-to-Die Rag"'s dark humor
and satire in a ragtime rhythm made it one
of the most recognized protest songs
against the Vietnam War. Critics cite
the composition as a classic of the counterculture era.

The song was usually preceded by "The Fish Cheer",
a cheer spelling out "F-I-S-H".
At a show in Central Park in 1968,
the band's drummer, Gary Hirsh, suggested
they change the word "fish" to "F---U---C
to make a free speech statement."
~~~~~~~
I changed the F word, so the algo wouldn't
delete me.


Regarding GOG, maybe GOG is symbolic of 7 6 7.
OG ( Original Gangsta and 007 comes to mind )

John Dee was the OG, 007. Ian Fleming, a Rosy,
based the character James Bond on John Dee.

The 1960's TV cartoon, Speed Racer ( which my brother
loved ) the catchword: 'Go Speed Racer Go'
also comes to mind as well.

Coincidently just the other day I was watching
Will Smith's song video Summertime.
At marker/frame 0:39 Will Smith is at the family reunion
wearing a Go Speed Racer Go t-shirt.
A Go-Go.

I've seen the Summertime video several times
and I've often wondered why Smith would wear
that particular t-shirt. I believe that perhaps it
was worn to usher in Rap music as nonthreatening
at first which our opponents knew Rap music would
eventually be transformed to usher in the thug culture.

Will Smith being the nonthreatening Rapper
and the Fresh Prince of Bel-air was the poster boy.
Bel is Baal. Baal's air.

The Michael Jackson's ritual in June '09 was
preformed in Bel-air on the 33degree parallel.
Michael drunk the milk.
copy and paste:
"Experts say Propofol is extremely powerful
and not meant for use outside hospitals and clinics.
Propofol was referred to by Michael Jackson
as his "milk" because of the milk-like appearance."
~~~~~
Recall my many comments about the Milky Way
and the milky crystal in my 1997 Hale Bopp dream.


The Band CAMINO - 12:34 (Lyric Video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSSOw4JkHwM&t=4s

The Time Machine Official Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36UQCZEsY9g

DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - Summertime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr0tTbTbmVA

Ra1119bee said...

William,
I found this old clip from the 1967 intro song Go Speed Racer Go.
It brought back a lot of good memories of my brother sitting
on the floor watching Speed Racer while he ( my brother) playing
with his Hot Wheels.

I found this interesting as I didn't know there
was an Asian connection to Speed Racer:
copy and paste:
"Speed Racer, also known as Mach GoGoGo
(Japanese: マッハGoGoGoゴーゴーゴー, Hepburn:
Mahha GōGōGō), is a Japanese anime television
series produced by Tatsunoko Production,
that aired on Fuji Television from April 1967 to March 1968.

In the United States, the show aired in syndication
at approximately the same time",
~~~~~~~
While watching the old TV clip I find it interesting
that Speed Racer's white and blue car was
the Mach 5.
5 being one of my very significant puzzle pieces.
5 numerology having to do with change.

My big picture meaning regarding my previous comment
and this one and your post today is this:
I absolutely believe that everything
is connected in someway , shape or form.

After my 11:11 dream in 2003 I was so
obsessed with finding out the why I was given
this information. I knew it meant something very
important . 11:11
was one of the reasons I went to Monroe in '05.

And now lo and behold 23 years later I find 11:11
referenced in a song. A song that I randomly
found while researching 1234 because of your post.

What's the odds?

Speed Racer - Intro (1967) Theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvc11BYryk0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_Racer

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

That Hepburn romanization even includes the strings "agog" and "agogo."

Speed Racer -- specifically the chimpanzee character Chim Chim -- has come up here before.

https://narrowdesert.blogspot.com/2024/06/i-jowly-chim-chim-ate-elvis.html

Ra1119bee said...


William,
What' also interesting about your post
and the reason for my comment about 1234
and randomly finding The Band CAMINO's song
12:34 I believe connects to a big picture regarding
syncs via the paranormal.
Copy and Paste: see link below
"Lyrically, the song explores the theme of superstition
in relationships.
In the first verse, Jeffery sings about motifs
such as four-leaf clovers,
picking rose petals and breaking wishbones.

Spencer breaks these superstitions with lines like, “It's 12:34
and I'm outside your apartment/ Only have sixty seconds to line up our stars/
I couldn't wait any longer, so I'm here at your door/
I missed 11:11, I'll wish on 12:34.”

The lyrics play with tension and release;
the anxiety of a new relationship,
relying on superstition for things to go right,
and finally, the relief that comes
when you arrive at someone's door at the wrong time,
but go in anyway and no longer rely on the superstition.
~~~~~~

 As you can probably  guess, I absolutely disagree
with The Band CAMINO regarding ' superstition'.
I do not believe that odd experiences  i.e. incidents that
defy reason or 'normality'
can be explained and hidden away with labels like superstition
or mumbo jumbo, or demonic, or conspiracy theories.

 1 2 3 4  is linear movement . Logical . Right brain.
Can't see the forest for the trees which in a duality dimension
I would agree is imperative to have those skills
so as to navigate matter, but 1 2 3 4 binds us
to this dimension only
and prevents us from evolving.
Linear time is Saturn energy. Trapped in time. 

IMHO, the soul and ego are same( in the same matter physical
body ) but different.
The soul sees beyond, the ego
only sees that which it can reach which is very limited.

Interestingly 1 2 3 4 ends  at the door ( 4 ).

A door, window, bridge, tunnel, are all
symbolic of a portal i.e. the beginning of a transformation.

In the lyrics the singer is waiting outside the door.  He doesn't go in
the apartment at least the lyrics doesn't suggest that.

Note that in symbolism an apartment means: a part of something.
That something being temporary.
In other words it's not our home ( temple).
We're not complete.

Big picture: I'm thinking the sync fairies randomly
put this song in my path for a very important reason.

And last but not least I thought of yet another  A Go Go.
Back in the day( 1960's ) (and you may be aware of this since you
read a book about Laurel Canyon ) there was a very infamous
nightclub called : Whiskey A Go Go.

 Copy and paste: asterisks mine
"More than a concert venue, the Whisky
became a launchpad,
a proving ground, and eventually one of
the most important addresses
in rock history.
Over six decades, nearly ****every era of modern music has crashed
*****through its doors.*****
~~~~~
Note reference to 'through its doors'.

Sync fairies be busy, fr fr.


https://www.themusicmag.co.uk/music-reviews/1234-by-the-band-camino-single-review

https://www.musicnews.com/news/2026-05-23-the-whiskey-that-built-rock-the-wild-history-of-the-whisky-a-go-go

The Band CAMINO - 12:34
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSSOw4JkHwM

Ra1119bee said...

William,
I forgot to add the connection of Jim Morrison ( The Lizard King)
and THE DOORS regarding The Whiskey A Go Go.
Yet another door connection.

I also forgot to add 'gate' to my list of portals.
Of course Heaven's Gate cult comes to mind as
did my Hale Bopp dream in Feb of 1997. In that dream
I walked through the backyard 'gate' of my
grandparents house and there appeared the space
man and the space ship. The space ship
was in the same location as our family's picnic table,
which existed IRL.

Recall my many comments about the symbolism
of food or kitchen or eating. All symbolic meaning:
food for thought.

In the lyrics of the song, I feel like I'm fixin to die by
Country Joe and the Fish it also mentions
the 'pearly gates'

Copy and paste lyrics to
And it's one, two, three,
What are we fighting for ?
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
Next stop is Vietnam;
And it's five, six, seven,
Open up the pearly gates,
~~~~~~
Note in the lyrics the number 8 and 4
are omitted.

Morrison was also a part of the 27 Club ( see link).

Also I forget to add the trend of go go boots
that were very popular during
the British Invasion. My older sister and I saved our allowance
( 50 cent a week ;-)) to buy a pair of go go boots.

Regarding Chim Chim, it's interesting that both
Chim Chim and Sprittle wore red and white stripe hats
( not Phrygian caps though!).
They also wore red overalls.

Red and white being colors of Switzerland and
the Red Cross of the Roseys.

Also I read that Chim Chim and
Spritle were obsessed with candy.( sweets).
Recall I've commented several times about
the Monroe Institute and their reasoning behind
the significance of candy/sweets/sugar in
this duality dimension. Especially where
it concerns OBE. ( Out of Body Experience)
Copy and paste:
Chim Chim and Spritle are an inseparable team
and have a way of popping up at just the
right time to pull Speed out of peril,
so that he can go on to save the day.

Their rebellious attitudes often lead
them to trouble. Often in Speed's way,
their mischief somehow aids Speed
away from danger.

Spritle and Chim-Chim dress in identical jumpsuits
and striped hats and often perform
identical physical actions.

They both have an*** extreme appetite for candy,***
and they are usually bribed with dessert or other presents."
~~~~~~~~
Chim Chim and Spritle were different, but same.
Their rebellious nature of living outside of the box
saved Speed on many occasions, according to the wiki
article.

As I've shared I remember Speed Racer from back
in the day, but I never watched very many episodes
like my brother did.
I do remember Chim Chim and Spritle however.

https://speedracer.fandom.com/wiki/Chim_Chim
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-lists/the-27-club-a-brief-history-17853/
https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/go-go-boots-vintage-photos/

Popular posts