Thursday, February 13, 2020

Go tell that long-tongued liar

I suppose it will come as no surprise to hear that I generally find Marilyn Manson (Brian Warner) repulsive and unlistenable -- but, credit where due, his is hands down the best version of this old classic.


For comparison, here's how the same song was rendered by Elvis:


And by Johnny Cash:


Cash did a very good job with it, too -- and of course Manson is heavily dependent on his version (even including the line "John, go do my will"; I guess "Brian" just didn't have the same ring). Still, I have to admit that in this particular instance the Man in Black was outdone by the Man in Black Lipstick. Basically, people like Manson exist for the purpose of singing this kind of song.

3 comments:

Francis Berger said...

I'm partial to the Johnny Cash version myself, but I do like the MM version, too. In fact, this is the first time I heard it. Like you, I've never really been big on MM, but I did enjoy his cameo on the HBO series, The New Pope, which my wife has somehow suckered me into watching (I know, I'm pathetic). In any case, the scene is quite good (and funny). I'll share the link, if you don't mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ss3lRTQocM

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

That’s a good scene. Is MM playing himself?

Francis Berger said...

Yes. And it was the pope who wanted to meet him. Strange series. What can I say?

When you notice the stripes

I was recently digging through old files to find The Tinleys , and one of the things I ran into was "A Pedestrian Speech for Bill Clint...