Sunday, February 9, 2020

Thinking about prayer

A recent post by S. K. Orr (well, "recent" by my slow-thinking standards, anyway) has had the effect of eliciting some firm intuitions about prayer and getting me thinking about how best to understand them. The post is quite short and well worth reading in its entirety, but here are the essential bits.
For the past couple of years, I have daily passed a man on a bicycle on the way to work. . . . And for at least a year now, I have said a prayer for the bicyclist every time I pass him. As I near him, I lift one hand and usually whisper something like “Protect him, Father,” or “Bless him in his day, Father.” . . .
Sometimes in these quiet hours, I wonder what the bicyclist would say if he knew a stranger says a prayer for him every morning when briefly passing by. And I wonder if any stranger has ever prayed for me for no other reason than seeing me and feeling the nudge to do so. I like to think that someone, at some point, has done so. It is not for me to say whether or not I have been spared harm on a particular day because some unseen watcher lifted a hand and whispered some holy words on my behalf.
I am not a prayerful person, but this post convinced me that I need to be. Mr. Orr's daily prayers for the bicyclist are undeniably good and important; it remains only to understand why and how -- and, of course, to "go and do thou likewise."

The post touched on a lot of "problematic" issues regarding prayer and confirmed that, problematic or not, they are real and must be dealt with. Here I will lay out some of those problems, and the conclusions I have come to after dwelling on them for a few months.


God sometimes does, because he has been asked, things that he would not have done if he had not been asked.

Orr speculates that he may "have been spared harm on a particular day because some unseen watcher" prayed for him, and implies that his own prayers may have caused the bicyclist to be spared particular harms that would have befallen him otherwise -- that, despite God's goodness and his love for the bicyclist, he would not have protected him to the same degree had he not been specifically asked to do so.

I think we pretty much have to believe this. It hardly makes sense to ask God for specific things unless we believe that our asking affects the probability of those things happening -- unless we believe that we can sometimes change God's mind and persuade him to do something he would not otherwise have done.

But it seems strange that a loving God who is willing and able to help and protect us, and who "knoweth what things ye have need of before ye ask him," would make his help and protection conditional on being asked -- and asked by anybody, apparently, even a perfect stranger.

If God would help me only if I asked him to do so, that would be understandable in terms of his respecting my freedom and giving me ultimate control over my own life. One thinks of the famous line from the Apocalypse: "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him" (Revelation 3:20) -- which presumably means that God will become active in a given person's life only if that person invites him to do so. If, on the other hand, God may also intervene in my life because someone else invited him to do so -- which is what the efficacy of petitionary prayer for a third party implies -- then it's as if he stands at the door, knocks, and waits for anyone, even a random passerby on the street, to open the door. If he doesn't need my permission to intervene in my life, why does he need anyone else's? If he is willing to come in without being invited in by the homeowner, why not without being invited by anyone at all?

(To be clear, I assume that God does often intervene without being asked, but we are here considering those cases in which petitionary prayer has made a difference -- cases in which God intervenes because he was asked and would not have done so otherwise.)


Even if we want the same things as yesterday, we still need to ask for them again today.

After hearing "Bless him this day, Father" every day for a couple of years, God surely must have figured out that Mr. Orr wants him to bless the cyclist every day, making further prayers of that sort unnecessary. But somehow, saying "Bless him this day" every day -- rather than saying "Bless him every day" once -- is the right way to do it. In most areas, repetitiveness tends to make things meaningless, but in the case of prayer -- despite the warnings against "vain repetitions" in some of the Gospels -- repetitiveness lies very close to its heart.

And just as it is right to pray for a particular day, it is right to pray for a particular person -- "Protect him, Father," not "Protect everyone who needs protecting."


God sometimes influences us to ask him for particular things.

"I wonder if any stranger has ever prayed for me for no other reason than seeing me and feeling the nudge to do so." The one doing the nudging in such a case would presumably be God himself -- which is pretty strange, if you think about it.

"Hey, that person could use some help. Why don't you ask me to help him?"

"Okay. Would you please help him?"

"Sure!"

Wouldn't that be a very strange conversation if it took place between two human beings? Why do we accept it as a normal way of interacting with God? It really makes sense only if the first person cannot act unless the second person asks him to. I hope it will be understood that no blasphemy is intended when I say that it reminds me of nothing so much as certain versions of the legend of Faust, where the devil can only do what Faust commands and is therefore always trying to persuade him to command particular things. In a Faustian context, that makes sense, but this is God we're talking about.


Prayer is expanded agency, serving as training for theosis.

It occurs to me that most of the philosophical problems associated with efficacious petitionary prayer are the same problems that are associated with ordinary human agency.

Why would God intervene in a person's life because I asked him to? If intervening is the best thing to do, God ought to do it whether I ask him to or not; if it is not the best thing to do, he ought not to do it even if asked. But we might with equal justice ask, Why would God allow me myself to intervene in anyone else's life? -- or, for that matter, to make decisions about my own life? If God knows best, why does he allow anything of importance to be decided by anyone else? Suppose I see a homeless man and, instead of asking God to bless him, I just give him a twenty. Will the effect of that gift ultimately be good or bad? Only God knows, and therefore (so the logic goes) God ought to be the one to decide, and ought accordingly either to force me to give or prevent me from doing so. But God respects our agency, or free will, and cares more about preserving that than he does about seeing to it that the Best Possible Thing is done.

In the gift of petitionary prayer, God has given us what we might think of as a sort of expanded agency, subject to "parental controls." If he granted each and every one of us unlimited magical power, so that we could literally do whatever we wanted, the result would obviously be disastrous, so he grants us direct and absolute control only over a few things -- but he also gives us the potential ability, through the medium of prayer, to "do" anything that God himself can do. We are far too ignorant, immature, and irresponsible to be given free rein with this kind of power, but we are encouraged to try out hand at it, as it were -- to ponder how we think the divine power might best be used, to put these proposals to God, and -- sometimes -- to see those proposals carried out.

By encouraging us to pray and ask him to do things, God is quite literally encouraging us to play God -- in the same sense in which little children play, and are encouraged to play, at being adults. To engage in petitionary prayer is to put oneself in God's position, decide what you think he ought to do, and then say to God, in effect, "If I were you, I'd so such-and-such." How jaw-droppingly presumptuous is that? And yet it's something God actively encourages, even commands, us to do. One thinks of the story (in Genesis 18) of Abraham, negotiating with God over the destruction of the cities of the plain: "That be far from thee to do after this manner . . . Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?" Abraham seems to have been well aware that he was rushing in where angels fear to tread -- "Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord, which am but dust and ashes" -- but he proceeded nonetheless. And he was called the Friend of God.

All of this makes sense if we assume that the primary purpose of prayer -- as of everything else in this life -- is educational. And what we are being educated for is theosis, becoming Gods. That is why God expects us, through prayer, to take an interest and an active role in how the divine powers are used and even, as ridiculous as it may seem, to give him our requests and recommendations. Probably the vast majority of those recommendations will be rejected, or implemented only in part, but that's all part of the learning process. "The servant knoweth not what his lord doeth -- but I have called you friends" (John 15:15).

10 comments:

Bruce Charlton said...

The way I think of this at present is that prayer is (or may be, for some people) a way of aligning ourselves with God's creative project, through love.

Therefore the difference that is made by prayer (when there is a difference - when through love we are aligned with God's purposes) is by 'Final Participation'.

That is we, as individuals, change God's creation our-selves, because (at that time, temporarily) we are fully in harmony with God's creative motivations: we personally add-to creation, from within-it.

edwin faust said...

Jesus encourages us - almost implores us - to ask "in my name" and guarantees the result: that it will be done to us as we have asked. The key to this is the phrase, "in my name." What does it mean. Surely not just a verbal formula. It must mean saying, as Jesus did, not my will but thine be done. Yet, we are told to ask nonetheless. We may have experience of the effect of this asking. If we pray for someone we dislike, we discover that we dislike them less, even acquire an understanding of them we did not formerly have. To pray in Jesus' name can only mean to love others as He has loved us, wishing their good. The result, of course, manifests in us, in our increase of knowledge and love. What it does for the other person is in God's hands.

S.K. Orr said...

William, I'm humbled that you gave one of my posts such a careful reading and devoted so much time thinking it through. You raise superb problems and questions...it's very interesting to realize that I think I understand my own words more fully after reading your reflections on them.

And yet...I don't know what I believe about prayer. It's a topic like so many others in which it's easy to lapse into what others have written and observed, rather than sticking to the very difficult work of sussing out one's own thoughts.

At this stage, it's perhaps easier for me to think of God as my Parent(s) than at any other time in my life, NOT because I have arrived at this wondrous place of trust and revelation, but because I see more clearly what a difficult and vexing relationship I have with Him/Them. I learned more about myself and about life from the tortured and beautiful and perplexing relationship I had with my mother than I ever have from reading and talking with any number of priests, theologians, philosophers, and artists.

All that to say -- thank you, my friend, for bringing my own words around to stimulate even more thought about a topic that haunts me every hour.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

Bruce and Edwin, I generally agree that prayer must be motivated by love -- although we are also expected to pray for things we ourselves need, not only on behalf of others.

Edwin, I no what you mean about how the act of prayer can, irrespective of any other effects it may have, increase our love and understanding of the ones we pray for. This psychological effect may even be the primary purpose of prayer. Nevertheless, unless there is some expectation that God might answer our prayers by doing what we ask him to do (petitionary prayer's constitutive purpose), prayer ceases to be prayer and becomes a mere meditative exercise -- like writing a letter you don't intend to send, as a way of sorting through your own feelings.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

SK, that's one of the things I most appreciate about your writing -- that you are willing to do the hard work of thinking.

(By the way, I still read your blog regularly but am unable to comment because I am always "blocked as a suspected bot.")

Anonymous said...

I have always wondered about the efficacy of praying for someone else. So, a couple of months ago I prayed, asking if it does make a difference. To my surprise, I received an immediate and quite strong intuitive sense that it does. Without getting into too much depth, I got the feeling that God uses prayer almost as a signaling device to help focus his attention where it is needed.

Craig Davis

Francis Berger said...

I found SK's original post, Wm's elaboration on the theme, and all the comments thus far immensely uplifting and encouraging. It has all served to remind me of the importance and necessity of prayer. Thanks to everyone.

S.K. Orr said...

William, I have no idea why my blog sees you as a suspected bot...that's aggravating! In the future, if you wouldn't mind emailing me any comment, I'll make sure it gets on there. I know it's a pain in the neck to have to perform this extra step. I blame Joe Biden.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

Joe Biden has nothing to do with it, you lying dog-faced pony soldier!

I'll make every effort to pass your blog's Turing test, but if I continue to fail, sure, I'll email you.

ben said...

It occurs to me that if God is constantly and massively shaping the world, providing learning experiences, comfort of conditions, other things, then maybe a person could pray for whatever would be provided for them to be redirected to another.

To pray for the man on the bike is to say "Give some of mine to him". I envision a mass of taut threads, each of which can be slackened, from which others can take length.

This is with the assumption that God isn't just dipping in to affect the world from time to time but instead his activities are underlying everything all the time.

Build and strengthen

Last night I was once again creating a glossary to accompany an English reading assignment for my Taiwanese students. The article had to do ...