Wednesday, February 12, 2020

It's natural to repeat things 2^n - 1 times.

Fifteen! Fifteen no's . . . ha ha ha!

I try to cover all the bases here.

⁂

No.

No no no.

No no no no no no no.

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

⁂

I find that I can continue this series more-or-less indefinitely: first 1 "no," then 3, then 7, 15, 31, 63, and so on -- each number in the series being twice the previous number, plus one. For me, these are all natural numbers of times to repeat things. I just naturally stop at 2n - 1, without consciously keeping count. (In fact, I only discovered the pattern by recording myself and then going back and counting the no's.)

Try it yourself (preferably not in a public place!). Is this an idiosyncracy of my own, or have I just discovered Tychonievich's First Law of How Many Times People Repeat Things?

3 comments:

Bruce Charlton said...

"Is this an idiosyncracy of my own"

Yes.

For me, five "no"s would be natural (in a descending scale) - but nothing more than that!

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

I don't mean that I would actually say "no" 63 times in an actual conversation -- just that if I set myself the (artificial) task of repeating "no" (or anything) an inordinate number of times, I naturally gravitate to particular numbers.

Bruce Charlton said...

I suppose it has to be an odd number of "no"s otherwise they would cancel-out and make a yes...

Popular posts