His name is Simon, as in Simon Peter, and he wants a pie (pumpkin?) but can't pay for it (and thus might end up stealing it?). He says he has no money and then goes a-fishing. Simon Peter says "Silver and gold have I none" (Acts 3:6) and "I go a fishing" (John 21:3). Putting these two together, there is even an episode where Peter, needing a single coin to pay a tax, goes fishing in order to get it (Matt. 17:24-27). In the rhyme, though, Simon is fishing "for to catch a whale" -- tying him to Captain Ahab and Whinbad the Whaler. Finally, he goes fishing in a pail, tying him to Jack and Jill (and thus to Pinbad the Pailer, who is also Ahab) and to Thomas B. Bucket.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular posts
-
Following up on the idea that the pecked are no longer alone in their bodies , reader Ben Pratt has brought to my attention these remarks by...
-
In a comment on " Drill, baby, drill! " Bill writes, referring to my posts about the poem by Christina Rossetti: The last, and it ...
-
“ Turnum outknaves all three ” sent me back to my 2023 dream post “ Narrative Reasoning ,” which begins with a quote from Turnus and ends wi...
-
Mark your calendars, and in the meantime find something else to read. Note added: For those who have asked, nothing is wrong, and my decisi...
-
It's been a while since I clicked for a randomly selected /x/ thread . I tried it today just in the spirit of "Is this thing on?...
-
Back on August 17, Bruce Charlton posted an episode from the old children's TV show Pipkins (which I had never heard of), in which Hart...
-
But Men shall remember Atlantis's name Come hell or high water! Sith both of them came, It rests unforgotten, and what we now tell Skill...
-
This morning, a preschooler dropped a case of alphabet stamps. These had been in alphabetical order, but when he picked them up, he paid no ...
-
In a comment on " Ascending to the black star ," Bill brought up a game called The Blue Prince , and so on a random whim I searche...
-
My mention of a "Buddhist text" in my last post was probably misleading, making it sound like I was poring over Mahayana scriptur...

1 comment:
That is a pretty good one.
Post a Comment