Five days previous, on November 6, James Watson had died. I mostly agree with Bruce's assessment that with his death there are no great scientists still living (Roger Penrose being the one exception I would make).
Wednesday, November 12, 2025
It's unfortunate that all of the great explorers have already passed away.
This sentence -- created for the purpose of practicing certain subtleties of English pronunciation, its meaning being quite beside the point -- is in one of the textbooks I use, and as things worked out, November 11 was the day I had my students repeating it again and again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular posts
-
Following up on the idea that the pecked are no longer alone in their bodies , reader Ben Pratt has brought to my attention these remarks by...
-
In a comment on " Drill, baby, drill! " Bill writes, referring to my posts about the poem by Christina Rossetti: The last, and it ...
-
“ Turnum outknaves all three ” sent me back to my 2023 dream post “ Narrative Reasoning ,” which begins with a quote from Turnus and ends wi...
-
Mark your calendars, and in the meantime find something else to read. Note added: For those who have asked, nothing is wrong, and my decisi...
-
It's been a while since I clicked for a randomly selected /x/ thread . I tried it today just in the spirit of "Is this thing on?...
-
Back on August 17, Bruce Charlton posted an episode from the old children's TV show Pipkins (which I had never heard of), in which Hart...
-
But Men shall remember Atlantis's name Come hell or high water! Sith both of them came, It rests unforgotten, and what we now tell Skill...
-
This morning, a preschooler dropped a case of alphabet stamps. These had been in alphabetical order, but when he picked them up, he paid no ...
-
In a comment on " Ascending to the black star ," Bill brought up a game called The Blue Prince , and so on a random whim I searche...
-
My mention of a "Buddhist text" in my last post was probably misleading, making it sound like I was poring over Mahayana scriptur...
4 comments:
I suppose one big difference about Penrose is that a *very* small proportion of people have heard of him or could say what he did. Watson was like many more in the earlier generations of scientific genius, in that he was a household name and so was his major achievement.
I feel Anonymous Conservative has the right idea on this topic. It's probable that, for several decades, people of such calibre have either been pulled into secret projects, suppressed (pushed well out of mainstream view or killed off), or shunted/discouraged into alternative activities. Generalising it all as "the surveillance" (and/or Jews, as AC's saying more and more lately) is too simplistic for my liking though.
If you go back far enough, even some philosophers were household names, at least locally. After Kant died, the ground was too frozen to bury him, so his body was displayed for 10 days and many Konigsbergers came to see it.
WG, that's likely. "The conspiracy" would have to be active in all former genius-producing nations, but that's not that much of a stretch of the imagination.
Post a Comment