Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular posts
-
Following up on the idea that the pecked are no longer alone in their bodies , reader Ben Pratt has brought to my attention these remarks by...
-
In a comment on " Drill, baby, drill! " Bill writes, referring to my posts about the poem by Christina Rossetti: The last, and it ...
-
“ Turnum outknaves all three ” sent me back to my 2023 dream post “ Narrative Reasoning ,” which begins with a quote from Turnus and ends wi...
-
It's been a while since I clicked for a randomly selected /x/ thread . I tried it today just in the spirit of "Is this thing on?...
-
Back on August 17, Bruce Charlton posted an episode from the old children's TV show Pipkins (which I had never heard of), in which Hart...
-
But Men shall remember Atlantis's name Come hell or high water! Sith both of them came, It rests unforgotten, and what we now tell Skill...
-
Mark your calendars, and in the meantime find something else to read. Note added: For those who have asked, nothing is wrong, and my decisi...
-
In a comment on " Ascending to the black star ," Bill brought up a game called The Blue Prince , and so on a random whim I searche...
-
This morning, a preschooler dropped a case of alphabet stamps. These had been in alphabetical order, but when he picked them up, he paid no ...
-
My mention of a "Buddhist text" in my last post was probably misleading, making it sound like I was poring over Mahayana scriptur...


5 comments:
The slogan under the watch makes the brand name even more unfortunate.
Erm, yes...
I did a bit of web searching and there seems to be no English language material on these watches - so it seems likely that 'the joke' has not previously been noticed. I imagine that, sooner or later, this name will go viral. Certainly it is more extremely unfortunate than the better known Dubbelkrapp toilet paper, or Bonka coffee.
"Prince Arthur" would be a correct translation of the Chinese brand name. English "th" generally becomes "s" in Chinese, so I guess it does sound a bit like "arse" -- but still!
Dubbelkräpp is a perfectly normal and appropriate name in Swedish (double-ply "crepe"/tissue paper) which just happens to sound funny in English. Arseprince has no such excuse. A Taiwanese company decided to give their product an English name -- and that's the English name they chose!
:(
Post a Comment