Monday, August 10, 2020

I have a suspicious mind

In a comment to my previous post (qv) I mentioned an apparent additional synchronicity: Shortly after writing the post, which uses the phrase "Sister of Mercy" several times, including in the title, I went to YouTube and played a couple of Leonard Cohen songs, and YouTube suggested a third -- a 1967 release called "Sisters of Mercy." Though I know a handful of Leonard Cohen songs and listen to them fairly often, I can't say I'm all that familiar with his work; I never knew that he had written a song with that title, and YouTube had never suggested it before. (As a longtime reader of Strieber, I would have noticed.)

Then it occurred to me -- because I have a suspicious mind -- that this might not be a coincidence at all. YouTube is Google, and Blogger is also Google, so perhaps YouTube knows what I have recently posted on Blogger and takes this into account in its algorithm. So, by way of testing this hypothesis, I'm writing this post about what a suspicious mind I have. Yessirree Bob, if you were to ask me, "What one word best describes the sort of mind you've got?" I would have to say "a suspicious mind." Most people who know me would say the same thing -- or at least I suspect they would, because I'm just suspicious like that. My mind is, I mean. It's what you might call a suspicious mind.

Now I'm off to YouTube to play "Hound Dog" and "Burning Love" and see what it suggests I play next.

4 comments:

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

Conspiracy theory confirmed! It really did recommend "Suspicious Minds" to play next, and before I posted this it didn't.

Bruce Charlton said...

Could be marketing, could be surveillance, could be Jungian PSYOPS...

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

"Jungian PSYOPS"! Added to my vocabulary, as a sort of supplement to "synchronicity fairies."

Howard Ramsey Sutherland said...

Jungian PSYOPS. Frightening notion, Bruce.

Build and strengthen

Last night I was once again creating a glossary to accompany an English reading assignment for my Taiwanese students. The article had to do ...