Saturday, August 1, 2020

The meaning of birds

Augury -- interpreting the behavior of birds -- is one of the oldest and most widespread forms of divination. It still survives in 21st-century Taiwan; I have seen a night-market fortune-teller interpret the hops and pecks of a tame sparrow.

Is it just an old superstition, or is there something in it? Are birds, those enigmatic little creatures with the blood of ancient dragons in their veins, perhaps a little magical?


We once experienced a very clear bird-omen. My wife was at the home of a family whose daughters she tutored, and after one of these classes she was standing in the courtyard chatting with their mother. While teaching, she had felt that there was a "weird vibe" in the house, though everything seemed outwardly normal.

While they were talking, a large night heron suddenly appeared out of nowhere, flew full-speed into the concrete wall of the house, and fell down at their feet dead, its neck broken. There was no apparent explanation for this behavior. Birds flying into windows is normal, but concrete walls?

Days later, that family just imploded. I won't give any details here, but it was very, very bad.

Was the suicidal heron just an example of the broader phenomenon of omen or synchronicity, or is there something about birds as such? When my wife reported a "weird vibe," had she just subconsciously picked up on subtle changes in the behavior of the family members, or was it really something more like a literal vibration -- some ambient energy-like field that had become (to borrow a delightful word from those zany Scientologists) "enturbulated" -- something that birds, a sensitive lot, would react to?


And what of the Spirit that descended "like a dove" on Jesus? I was taught in (Mormon) Sunday school that there was no actual dove involved, that the Spirit had merely descended "as gently as a dove" or something like that -- but I no longer believe that. Do doves have some specially distinctive way of descending? Spirits as such are not visible, but John the Baptist must have seen something, and the plain meaning of his words is that what he saw was a dove. Was the dove a hallucination induced by the Spirit as a means of communication? More likely, I think, an actual flesh-and-blood dove descended on Jesus, and John -- a prophet living in a culture that accepted ornithomancy as a matter of course -- interpreted the auspices correctly.


Just after writing an earlier version of the above paragraph, I went out to get my motorcycle. As I approached the machine, a red turtle dove suddenly fluttered up from it, circled me once, and flew away. I'm going to play auspex here and call that a confirmation of my thoughts.


A further synchronicity: While I was in the process of writing this post, I checked Bruce Charlton's blog and found this comment from one Tom Hart (see this post):

You cannot underestimate how far people are trapped in modernity. I once watched a nationalist pagan Youtuber who, while talking about population genetics on his computer, noted that an owl had landed on a branch outside his window the night before. For an ancient pagan this would have been an event of enormous import, the only thing worth talking about; the birds were messengers from the gods and augury was central to paganism. But the Youtuber, despite identifying as anti-modern and totally primal, rejecting even Christianity as too modern, mentioned the owl in passing--as if it were a curious and mildly interesting fact. The population genetics on his screen were much more important and real to him, and so he spurned a divine messenger.

Even people who have taken a conscious step out of modernity are still consumed by its frame of reference; when they see a bird, they don't see a sign--just a wildlife fact.

4 comments:

Sean G. said...

I’ve had intense spiritual experiences this year that have involved many unusual animal sightings including (but not limited to) a massive black bear with her baby, right outside the window (when I woke up earlier than usual), and the biggest coyote I’ve ever seen walking slowly in front of my car. Most interesting to me was a blue jay that entered my work.

I work in a tool shop with big tall garage doors but an even higher ceiling. The blue jay flew around the rafters all day but couldn’t figure out to swoop down to get out. Instead he chose to sit under unopenable sky lights and make a racket.

The next day I was surprised to see the bird still there, unable to solve this puzzle. I have a great love for animals and was distressed for my feathered friend (terrible as blue jays are), so I said a simple prayer. “Lord Jesus Christ, if it is good to do so, let this bird free.” From the moment that prayer ended I never saw or heard the bird again. I didn’t see it fly out, it was just gone. I don’t know much about meanings of animals but it felt very significant to me.

I find the timing of this post and the comment you shared (which also caught my eye) to be incredible. I had another dramatic animal sighting today. I never know what to make of them. I feel like a strong message is being sent and I’m too stupid to make any sense of it.

A said...

I have the same problem as Sean. I have received strong messages, but I don't know what to do with the information - if anything. I feel rather dumbfounded.

For example, the Owl outside my window. It would be unique, but no idea what that would mean. Maybe I'd be extra careful about trying to be virtuous in response (and maybe that's all that's really needed), or look for some other unusual event to happen (and pay attention or not dismiss it) later in the day - but it wouldn't prompt me to action like an Angel saying "Flee to Russia before Corvid police round you up into FEMA camps".

Sean G. said...

@Andrew- I'm not sure whether I should, but I try not to read the tea leaves too much. It's a little embarrassing when we try to make everything a messenger from God, and I may or may not be doing that, but for me these experiences have been accompanied by a welling in my heart that tells me I'm on the right path (at least for that moment).

A gentle guiding of the Holy Spirit doesn't require my full knowledge anyway, so I've abandoned my conspiracy-theory cork board with strings connecting pictures of animals, locations and scriptures. I'll let the geniuses think everything through and just follow my heart.

Nathan Shumate said...

Actually, I hear more in LDS Sunday Schools the teaching by Joseph Smith that there was an actual dove -- it was a sign given to John the Baptists, I believe.

Build and strengthen

Last night I was once again creating a glossary to accompany an English reading assignment for my Taiwanese students. The article had to do ...