Thursday, October 22, 2020

Jay-Z in 2009 presages Biden and 2020

Throughout 2020, I've often been reminded of the 2009 music video "Run This Town" -- directed by Anthony Mandler, with Jay-Z, Rihanna, and Kanye West performing. There's no stable YouTube link I can give you, since it keeps getting taken down, but it's not that hard to find and watch should you feel that necessary. Basically, it shows lots of black people wearing 2020-style "face coverings," surging through the streets of burned-out cities, throwing Molotov cocktails, and doing other mostly-peaceful things.


Mandler has been quoted on that site I don't link to (no source is cited) as saying

I showed [Jay] some references from the classic rebellious zones of the world. We live in very orderly society in America, but when you get into Brazil, you get into the Middle East, you get into Africa, you get into Eastern Europe, when you get into places like that, there's a different sort of 'we run this town' [going on]. There's less order and more chaos. So we looked at a lot of those references, new photos and historical photos, to capture that kind of falling-apart feeling.

Back in 2009, you had to do research to create a video like "Run This Town." Watch it now, in 2020, and you might as well be watching a live newscast from Portland or somewhere.


I wrote the above portion of this post last night. I had planned to include a picture of the cover art for the "Run This Town" single and point out its similarity to Biden campaign logos -- another link to 2020. But something interrupted me, I went to bed without finishing the post, and here I am doing it the next day. So, here's the cover art for "Run This Town."


Why three horizontal red lines? Apparently because the single is from the album The Blueprint 3, and that album and all the singles from it (with the single exception of "D.O.A.") feature those three lines -- which signify nothing more interesting than the number three. "Run This Town" is unique, though, in having nothing but those three lines.

Here, in case you've forgotten what they look like, are two of Joe Biden's 2020 campaign logos.


By the way, how clueless is the guy who designed the logo on the left, given that there's also someone named Jo (the Libertarian Party's Jo Jorgensen) running for president in 2020? The one on the right, on the other hand, is rather neat: "Bid 3 N" -- a bid to be elected on 3 November.

So, anyway, a mildly interesting coincidence: A 2009 music video full of unmistakable 2020 imagery is branded with three horizontal red lines -- a branding choice also made by one of the 2020 presidential campaigns.

Checking the other Blueprint 3 singles just now, I found a much funnier coincidence. Here's the cover art for "A Star Is Born."


If the three horizontal red lines represent the letter E, as in the Biden logos, then this says "A star is Bern" -- i.e., Biden's main rival in the primaries, Bernie Sanders!


Now, why, you are wondering, did I bother telling you that I started the post last night and finished it the next day? Because of what happened in between: breakfast.

We get lots of junk mail, and when I eat takeout (as I often do) I am in the habit of using a piece of that junk mail as a makeshift placemat to keep the table clean. This morning I tore a page out of some promotional material from Costco, put my breakfast on it, and ate. Only after I had finished did I notice what was on the paper itself. It startled me enough that I took a photo.


Those three red lines again, exactly like the ones on the Jay-Z records! (They were printed as vertical lines, of course, but I had turned the paper to landscape orientation for placemat purposes.)

Looking at the photo on my phone after I had taken it, I noticed yet another coincidence. I was going to crop the photo to show just the three lines and a small amount of text to show that it was from Costco junk mail, but then I noticed that the photo as I had snapped it fortuitously included four very large Chinese characters: 好市多黑. This is from 好市多黑鑽卡, which is the Chinese name for a Costco Executive Membership Card, but only those four characters made it into the photo. Translate them literally, character for character, and what do you get?


I don't know what the synchronicity fairies are getting at with all this, but they've certainly got my attention!


Note added: 

I just noticed this bit of the photo I posted -- the one with the three red bars and "good city many black":


A right-pointing star, as in the D20 logo, and the words cover story. The intended meaning, of course, is "a report or article connected with the picture on the front of a magazine" -- but it also means "a story someone tells in order to hide the truth."

Second note added:

I don't know how I missed this before, but cover story -- accompanied by a star -- has an additional meaning: the three red bars came from record covers, one of which was "A Star Is Born" (or "Bern," as the case may be).

8 comments:

Bruce Charlton said...

Probably means 666 or something to do with Freemasons ---

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

"A conspiracy theory that posits world leaders are secretly evil rather than openly so."

Sean G. said...

I love these posts. They remind me of an evidence board used in detective films—the ones with photographs pinned up, strings connecting them in a web. You either experience an extraordinary number of coincidences or have extraordinary awareness to notice them (or both).

I've suspected the red E has some nefarious symbolism but no one seems to know what it is. A lefty graphic designer I know thinks its a poor design that's supposed to be an American flag, but I doubt that.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

Haha, I was going to say films about paranoid schizophrenics, but I'll take detective films! Anyway, I'm glad someone else enjoys these posts. (Speaking of 2009, were you by any chance a Black Dog Star reader back when that was a thing? I see he's also suddenly reappeared in 2020.)

If Biden's E is an American flag, it only has five stripes -- a prophecy of how many states he will win in November?

I assume the reference is to the Obama 2008 campaign logo: a blue O with three red stripes. The "Joe 2020" logo emphasizes the letter O (writing the zeroes as o's, and putting another blue O around the whole thing) and includes the three stripes as well. Biden's main selling point, after the fact that he's not named Donald Trump, is his association with Obama.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

Another possible reference is to the Top Gun logo. He does wear those aviator sunglasses.

Sean G. said...

Funny you should say that. I was originally going to compare you with the paranoid schizophrenic in the movie Pi, but I thought better of it. (Obsessed detective is better)

I never read Black Dog Star before now. I just checked out a random post from 2009 and WOW. It's like this post times a million. I didn't get through it all but it was both insane and interesting. I've always loved a good conspiracy theory rabbit hole. It reminds me of when the internet was the internet. Open, free, and completely wild. Before Ahriman got his dirty hands all over it.

Shiny Happy People said...

The three red stripes in the Biden logo are a reference to the Chinese Three Red Banners...

...or a communist plot by Adidas to take over the world.

A said...

I emailed you how my local bank changed their logo to the three lines.

Comerica (unrelated) just did it too: https://www.comerica.com

Susan, Aslan, and dot-connecting

On April 22, William Wright posted " Shushan! ", which included a clip from the James Bond spoof movie  Johnny English Reborn  in ...