Sunday, August 1, 2021

Llamas for Lammas

Quoting Chariots of Fire from memory, and apologizing in advance for any inaccuracies, "I believe that God created me for a purpose -- but he also made me fast, and when I pun I feel his pleasure."

For Lammas, then, this classic from the poet Nash:

The one-l lama,
He’s a priest.
The two-l llama,
He’s a beast.
And I will bet
A silk pajama
There isn’t any
Three-l lllama.*

*The author's attention has been called to a type of conflagration known as a three-alarmer. Pooh.

Funny how he overlooked two-m Lammas. Well, even Ogden nods. For me, Lammas will forever be associated with Old Boggy, "Lady of Spain," and blackface minstrels.

4 comments:

A said...

"What ho, what ho"
"Good God!"
"No, only B Wooster"

A said...

We have this book

https://www.amazon.com/Llama-Red-Pajama-Anna-Dewdney/dp/0451474570

Ben Pratt said...

I watched that entire episode the other day and shall be acquiring the entire series. Excellent.

My surprise somehow didn't show up today when today's episode of Vox Day's Arkhaven comic of John C. Wright's story Swan Knight Saga featured references to Lammas Eve: https://www.arkhaven.com/comics/fantasy/swan-knight-saga/they-walk-the-air?totalInSeries=14

It was in last week's episode as well, but I didn't know what Lammas Eve was when I read it.

A said...

I mixed Pixies with Ol' Boggy and have had "All I know is that there were rumors Ol' Boggy walks on Lammas Eve" stuck in my head all day. I think the children are genuinely worried Ol' Boggy might be real.

Knowledge is baking powder, France is baking.

Last night (the night of April 17), I visited Engrish.com , a site I used to check fairly regularly but hadn't been to in, oh, years pro...