Sunday, August 1, 2021

But Minnie had a heart as big as a whale

Eunuch.
I'm shock'd, young chaps, I truly am --
To turn down jingon-berry lamb,
Imported from the Persian court,
With Medish sweet-balls for dessert!
Are you so bold as to propose
To scorn such gifts with upturn'd nose
And ask for river-wine and beans?
The King will wonder what it means!

Daniel.
It means the King is sitting pretty:
Two wonders in a single city!
"Come see the Hanging Gardens. Then --
The lunch of these four Hebrew men!"

-- Yes and No

Once he tried to feed all the animals in all the world in one day, but when the food was ready an Animal came out of the deep sea and ate it up in three mouthfuls. Suleiman-bin-Daoud was very surprised and said, 'O Animal, who are you?' And the Animal said, 'O King, live for ever! I am the smallest of thirty thousand brothers, and our home is at the bottom of the sea. We heard that you were going to feed all the animals in all the world, and my brothers sent me to ask when dinner would be ready.'

-- Rudyard Kipling, "The Butterfly that Stamped" 

After getting 11,000 fake Swedish visitors from the devil knows where, followed up by a roughly equal number of authentic Swedish puns courtesy of  Sean Fowler (plus a Kraken pun of my own), I've got Sweden on my mind -- so, while washing some dishes, I found myself humming, "Swing low, Swede chariot . . . ."

And then the good old associative machinery threw up this:


In this version of the classic swing song originally by Cab Calloway, Minnie the Moocher is described as "a low-down hoochie-coocher" and is given "a platinum car with diamond-studded wheels" by the King of Sweden in a dream. Swing, check. Low, check. Swede chariot, check.

Minnie's ridiculously luxurious auto reminds me of the They Might Be Giants song "Mink Car" -- from the album of the same name, which was released on September 11, 2001. 

It's knocking off my diamond wig
Knocking me down onto the platinum ground
Woke up in a beautiful dream
Alone, alone
I got hit by a mink car . . .

Ever wonder where the word mink comes from? Turns out it's a loan-word from Swedish.

Hugh Laurie ends his version of "Minnie the Moocher" by repeating the line, "But Minnie had a heart as big as a whale!" What creature, I thought, would have a heart as big as a whale? Surely only the Leviathan -- or its Scandinavian equivalent, the Kraken. (Technically, I suppose the Kraken would have three such hearts.) And then I thought of Kipling's Animal that came out of the deep sea. Isn't a moocher someone who exploits the generosity of others, like the Animal in the story? And wouldn't Minnie -- or, more properly, Mini -- be a natural nickname for "the smallest of thirty-thousand brothers"?

2 comments:

Sean fowler said...

Yes indeed. Mother Svea the hind set free, the once proud shield maiden transformed into the modern day feminist social justice warrior. At the helm of a humanitarian superpower. “The Tender Hearted Woman” with a heart as big as a whale. About to be swallowed whole by the leviathan.
She ain’t nothin but a hoochie mama

Sean Fowler said...

No. It’s not the leviathan nor is it the kråkan. Not the kraken either, but the kräken. The stackers kräken. The refugees, the politically correct designated victim groups. Its the kräken that this tender hearted woman has opened the gates of the city to and allowed to take her over, through coercive engineered migration. While sacrificing her own offspring on the alter of political correctness and it’s the kräken, a beast too enormous to be fed that will, if it’s not stopped, be her downfall.

Happy birthday, Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir

Today I was listening to "Mountain Sound" by Of Monsters and Men and wondered what the lead vocalist's name was. I looked her ...