Tuesday, February 15, 2022

That Mormon look

I dreamed that I visited a Ukrainian Orthodox Church. Before the service started, the priest took me aside and asked if I knew any "lost souls from -- " (Here he named a place that sounded Slavic but was unfamiliar to me. I want to fill in the lacuna in my memory with Donbas, but it wasn't that; it was a short name, though, I think two syllables.) -- the idea being that I could introduce these souls to his church.

I told him that I didn't actually know anyone from the Ukraine, although two of my great-grandparents had been from Transcarpathia.

"So you come from an Orthodox family," he said. "That's surprising because" -- I was about to interject that my Ukrainian ancestors had actually been Greek-Rite Catholic, but the priest kept talking -- "from the look of you, I would have guessed that you were a Mormon!"

"I am," I said. "Or was. I guess should really grow an Orthodox beard!"

During the service, I kept thinking about what he had said and wondering how he had known. I hadn't associated with Mormons for 20 years*, and my parents are both converts and couldn't have given me any "Mormon genes." In the end, I decided that spending my formative years among Mormons, I must have permanently acquired certain habitual facial microexpressions which, though not consciously noticeable, gave me a recognizably Mormon look which would probably be with me for the rest of my life.

Thinking back on that now, in the waking state, I think it makes a certain sense and wonder if there is anything to it.

* Although I hadn't consciously noticed it until I wrote this post, I actually had this dream exactly 20 years to the day after my resignation from the CJCLDS.


Note added: Weird coincidence. I posted this dream about visiting a Ukrainian church, and it attracted two comments: one relating a dream about Hitler and the other replying to the first comment with "you're a Jew. Lol."

Later in the day, I was browsing one of Andrew Anglin's super-long meme posts, titled "Toon Tuesday: Honking with Hitler" ("I don't know why it worked out that there are so many Hitler memes today"), and one of the memes was this:


Googling the headline, I find that it's an old news story from 2018. Strange running into it right after that dream.

2 comments:

Poppop said...

Your dream was easy. I woke up from a dream this morning that I was a bounty hunter using a 19th century Winchester rifle to eliminate Adolf Hitler who was back in 2022 as a zombie. He kept coming back after taking a short rest no matter how many times I shot him. What's worse is he kept taunting me in German which I couldn't understand.

jorgen said...

Poppop, my psycho-analyzer says your dream means you're a Jew. Lol.

Susan, Aslan, and dot-connecting

On April 22, William Wright posted " Shushan! ", which included a clip from the James Bond spoof movie  Johnny English Reborn  in ...