Thursday, January 25, 2024

Surround, confound

I had essentially the same dream repeated three times last night. I take any recurring dream to be potentially significant. I am an observer in this dream; I don't appear as a character. Here's how it goes:

There are three women working together in a kitchen. They appear to be Mexicans in their late twenties or early thirties, and two of them are pregnant. In the living room nearby, the television is on. They decide they want to take a break from their work and sing together. There is already very loud music coming from the television, and I think it strange that they don't turn it off.

Preparatory to singing, the two pregnant women temporarily remove the babies from their wombs. I don't see how this is done, but it is apparently very easy to do and doesn't require surgery. Each baby is wrapped up in spider silk to keep it safe while it is out of the womb, and they are placed side by side on the kitchen table.

The three women then sing together in English, and they have very good voices. The song is simple, with only three lines, and is repeated several times:

Sur-round me
Con-found me
I need your lo-o-o-o-o-ove

(The word love is drawn out over six musical notes, which is why I have written it as I have.)

An entirely different song is being played on the television -- some sort of loud rock-'n'-roll with a male vocalist -- and I am astonished at how well the two songs harmonize, as if they had been written to be sung together. In each of the three repetitions of the dream, though, the song on the television is different but the women's song is the same, and the harmony is still perfect.


Googling the lyrics after waking up, I find that they're quite similar to "Come to Me" by Daniel Hart and Sam Reid, from Interview with the Vampire (Original Television Series Soundtrack), released in 2022:

Come to me
And let my ever-loving arms surround you
Come to me
And let my infinite embrace confound you


A bit odd, that. One doesn't usually associate love with being surrounded and confounded. I'm quite sure I'd never heard "Come to Me" before. In fact, I didn't know until today that Interview with the Vampire had ever been adapted for television, though I understand there was a movie version back in the 1990s with Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt.

I suppose the fact that this is specifically a song from television is a further sync with the dream.

The babies wrapped in spider silk are obviously an influence from the Spider World novels I am currently reading, in which giant spiders catch human prey, including children, and wrap them up in silk. The spiders in the novel actually eat human beings, but real-world spiders drink their prey rather than eating it, which is a link to vampires. William Wright's December 10 post "A Vampire's Weekend" explicitly connects giant spiders with vampires.

3 comments:

William Wright (WW) said...

It might be that the women in your dream, although human looking, were spider-type beings. The wolf spider, apparently, is unique in that it carries its egg sac with them wherever they go. Their 'womb' is literally on the outside connected to their spinnerets, and thus would be fairly easy, I think, to take their babies wrapped in spider silk and leave them on a table so they can sing.

The mention of a wolf spider caught my attention as I looked this up, because Leo mentioned a giant wolf spider landed on his head when he originally went to conduct his trade, if I remember right (I think in a comment on one of your posts, actually, but I am not 100% sure. It could have been on my blog).

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

Leo's wolf spider comment is here, in the same comment thread where I propose that "spider's oil" is electricity:

https://narrowdesert.blogspot.com/2023/12/the-spider-rat-and-poltergeist.html

The wolf spider link is interesting. After publishing this post but before reading your comment, I read a comment elsewhere saying that María Celeste Ponce, an Argentinian politician whose eyes are not exactly her most noticeable attribute, has "wolfspider eyes." (The thread is extremely crude, so I'm not going to link it.) A Latin American woman being compared to a wolf spider -- not just a spider, but that specific kind of spider! -- isn't something you run into every day, let alone twice.

The World Atlas of Mysteries (the book with the red chameleons on the cover) has a chapter called "Mary Celeste," about the famous ghost ship.

William Wright (WW) said...

Your mention of the Mary Celeste jogged the following thought:

The singing women also bring to mind the Sirens, who may have spider-esque qualities in catching their prey.

The question and mystery of the Marie Celeste is what could make a crew abandon a perfectly good, seaworthy ship, never to be heard from again? Well, Sirens definitely could.

When you notice the stripes

I was recently digging through old files to find The Tinleys , and one of the things I ran into was "A Pedestrian Speech for Bill Clint...