Thursday, May 6, 2021

Thanks, but I don't need one. I'm not ill.


I still can't believe this worked. I mean, it's basically the Jedi Mind Trick.

I was at the bank today -- one of the places that enforces birdemic mandates the most strictly -- standing in line to have my temperature checked before I could enter. The security guard came up and offered me a complimentary surgical mask, seeing as how I was the only one who wasn't already wearing one.

"Thanks," I said (in Chinese), "but I don't need one. I'm not ill." I said this just as graciously and politely as you could ask for, just as if I had been saying, "I'm terribly sorry, old chap, but I have a prior commitment."

He looked slightly nonplussed (I think; I could only see his eyes) and said, "You don't need one of these?"

"That's right, I don't need one. Thank you so much, though."

And that was it! They let me in without one!

Later, as I approached the counter, the bank manager indicated me and shot the security guard a quizzical look.

"He doesn't need one," said the guard.

"Oh, okay."

I have no idea how widely effective this technique would be in different places, but I certainly intend to find out!

6 comments:

Bruce Charlton said...

Well, OK - but a one-off, short-term, surprise, wrong-footing of low-grade officaldom probably doesn't mean much specifically.

To 'prove' this strategy you need (I suggest) to try it three times in three different (unconnected) situations *where you believe it would be most likely to fail*; and if it works thrice then that would constitute pretty strong evidence.

For now. Then you would need to try it repeatedly on the same people in the same place - because if it was to be valuable, that's what it would need to accomplish.

William Wildblood said...

I have done something very similar when challenged on the train. The trick is to stay scrupulously polite and never get angry or defensive.

Sean G. said...

Looking forward to your full findings on this.

A said...

It would be impressive if it repeatedly worked with security guards. They're not police, but some think so!

No one asked, but ...

I acted out quite a bit in the late teenage years. One tactic that repeatedly worked well was to 100% refuse verbal engagement. Ignore and keep walking. If that didn't work, we'd mock incomprehension (slack jawed, empty eyed, wordlessly, in extreme cases sort moan/grunt...). Unless actual-police they have no legal ability to physically detain/assault you and so they're limited to verbal engagement - which you give no traction for. You might think I'm joking about the later, but it successfully defused physical assault multiple times after we quite rightly deserved it (mostly from bad "pranks" on random people, like running through a restaurant and knocking everything over).

Anyway, I tried the adult version at grocery stores (100% ignore & refuse to engage) and it has worked a couple times here in America. No-one has yet physically blocked my path. Though, it would have a different dynamic as a foreigner.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

@Mr. Andrew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSoy1xq2BrQ

A said...

My silence failed today. I went to a gas station and the male employee kept raising his voice (from behind his mask and plexiglass protection) until he was yelling at me, so I left. It did have the benefit of making the situation ridiculous instead of one of numb compliance. Everyone else in the store was, of course, disturbed and made uncomfortably conscious of the situation.

I don't think gas-lighting would have enabled my purchase either. If it had come to mind, your method would have been the best bet.

Susan, Aslan, and dot-connecting

On April 22, William Wright posted " Shushan! ", which included a clip from the James Bond spoof movie  Johnny English Reborn  in ...