Sunday, May 30, 2021

St. Joan's Day

Today marks the 590th anniversary of the murder of my patron saint, Jehanne of Domrémy. No body lies a-moldering in the grave -- she was burned at the stake and then cremated twice more to ensure nothing would be left of her -- but she lives today, a resurrected being, and her soul goes marching on.

This poem was written by my sister Kat, who has graciously given me permission to publish it here. I had originally planned to quote it as part of a much longer post I am working on, but that is a post for another day, and the poem is a poem for today.

They marched to the fire with a drum roll and battle-cries
They mobbed through the courtyard with passionate hate
They tied to the stake a soldier-maiden
And lighted the flames to purge heresy-taint
 
They shouted huzzah! as the pyre leapt upward
They tossed up their caps to the conquering flame
They toasted their mess-mates for burning a maiden
And ridding the earth of a scourge and a stain
 
They marched off in glory, content with their doing
They knew that a fire leaves nothing behind
They left her in cinders, and smoldering ashes
And wended their way with a bright, fearless mind
 
But they found, to their fury, she had somewhat escaped them
They knew not at first, but they finally learnt
Her heart was on fire with vision already
And fire is the one thing that cannot be burnt

Those who watched Joan burn report seeing a dove rise phoenix-like from the flames -- conveying, in the symbolic language of the prophets, the message, "This is my beloved daughter, in whom I am well pleased, in whom I have glorified my name."

There are heavy rains and flooding in Taiwan today, forecast to continue for a week, marking the end of the longest and most serious drought in many decades. The timing of these things is never just a coincidence.

3 comments:

S.K. Orr said...

William, the first thing I did this morning was write a blog post about the Maid. The second thing I did was check your blog, and found this reverent post. Please tell Kat that I enjoy her poetry as much as her artwork. Such a talented and blessed family is the house of Tychonievich.

I began a novena to the Maid this morning, and this evening I will offer prayers of thanks for the rain Taiwan is receiving and will receive. No coincidences, brother...no coincidences.

May God bless you and your family, and may He strengthen us through the example and the intercession of His servant, La Pucelle d'Orleans.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

Thank you, brother. I am not by nature a very reverent soul, and your piety is a great example to me.

I checked your blog first thing this morning, too, but I think it was still the middle of the night in America, and nothing was up yet. I’m headed there again now.

The Lord bless you and keep you and make his face to shine upon you, and may he make us worthy — you, me, and all the others known and unknown — of what has been given us.

S.K. Orr said...

Thank you for your kindness and for your blessing, William.

If you or your readers are interested, an informative post on St. Joan of Arc can be found here:

https://the-american-catholic.com/2021/05/30/the-girl-who-reversed-agincourt-4/

The comments section made me roll my eyes, however. All the predictable talk about how St. Joan "shattered stereotypes" and that sort of yawn-yawn tripe. I've heard that certain degenerates refer to the Maid as a role model for cross-dressers. God preserve us from the comprehensive evil of these times...

Susan, Aslan, and dot-connecting

On April 22, William Wright posted " Shushan! ", which included a clip from the James Bond spoof movie  Johnny English Reborn  in ...