Thursday, November 10, 2022

Falling into a canyon: impossibly precise timing

Tonight I was scrolling through some of the YouTube subscriptions I don't check very often and ended up watching part of this sync video -- a not-very-interesting montage of various movie scenes featuring holes in the ground. (The eclipse in the thumbnail is what got my attention, but there isn't actually much eclipse material in the video.)


At the 8:08, it shows a clip from the movie 127 Hours, in which the James Franco character, having just fallen into a canyon, shouts, "Hello! I'm in the canyon!" It was immediately after hearing that shout that I decided the video was boring, stopped it, and did the next thing that popped into my head, which was to check The Higherside Chats to see if there were any interesting new shows. The latest upload didn't look particularly promising, but I started playing it anyway. I played it on the HTC website, but it's on YouTube, too, so I'll embed it here.


I skipped through the first couple of minutes and started listening at the point where the host, Greg Carlwood, was introducing his guest. At the 3:13 point, Carlwood said, "At 36, he fell into a canyon in western Canada and had a near-death experience that revealed the false covering of oneself and of reality."

So I watch a video and, for no very specific reason, decide to stop it immediately after a guy shouts that he has fallen into a canyon. Then I start playing a completely unrelated recording, and one of the first things I hear is "he fell into a canyon." Two minutes max between hearing the two canyon-falling references, and probably closer to one.

I just went back to the first video now and watched the rest of it. The next scene after "Hello! I'm in the canyon!" was a clip from the 2014 film As Above, So Below. The characters appear to be trapped underground, and a woman says, "If we find the chamber, then that's the way out. We'll find the way out."

I then went back to the THC podcast to hear what came right after the the mention of falling into a canyon. Continuing from what I quoted above, Carlwood goes on to say:

. . . which led him to study Gnostic and Hermetic teachings and explore the challenges of dealing with an awakening, which came to be put in the pages of his second book, Falling for Truth, as well as inspiring his newest book, which certainly kicked it up a level Exiting the Cave: Ending the Reincarnation Trap. But throughout his travels and examinations, Howdie started to see a lot of holes in the historic narrative . . .

In the sync video, "Hello! I'm in the canyon!" is followed by a clip from a film called As Above, So Below -- a well-known Hermetic maxim paraphrased from the Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus -- about finding the way out of a cave. On the podcast, "he fell into a canyon" is followed by a reference to studying Hermetic teachings and writing a book called Exiting the Cave. Then we hear that the author "started to see a lot of holes" -- which is pretty much the whole theme of the sync video!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought two bikes over the weekend that are arriving tomorrow. They are Canyon bikes.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

Watch out for potholes. Don’t fall!

ben said...

I read this post as I was tripping into a canyon, literally mid-trip.

I'm now writing this from the bottom of a real-life canyon. My legs are broken in several places.

jk

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

kek

srsly, tho, don't anybody tempt fate by reading this on your phone while hiking!

ben said...

ah see that was my mistake

good sync though

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

I’ve just realized what the eclipse in the thumbnail reminds me of: the cover of the James Taylor album New Moon Shine. One of the tracks on that album is called “Down in the Hole.”

Susan, Aslan, and dot-connecting

On April 22, William Wright posted " Shushan! ", which included a clip from the James Bond spoof movie  Johnny English Reborn  in ...