Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Sheppards and cloud animals

On November 29, William Wright posted "Keep Me Crazy," a music video from a band called Sheppard.

The video begins with people looking up at the clouds, which assume the form of a giraffe:



Last night I checked Chris Knowles's blog and read his December 4 post "Synchro-Tsunami: The King of Hell," which is all about an actor named Mark Sheppard. The recurrence of the name Sheppard made me think of the "Keep Me Crazy" video again. A repeated line from the song is "I've been walking blind in the dark, never see the sun," which syncs with the name of Chris's blog: The Secret Sun.

Today a free desk calendar arrived in the mail, a gift from an investment bank:


The cloud/Sheppard juxtaposition makes me think of Berger des Nuages, "Shepherd of Clouds," by the surrealist sculptor Jean Arp. Arp's account of the piece's development, as quoted on Wikipedia, ties in with another recent sync theme:

When I woke up, I found on my sculptor's bench a small, playful, lively form of a certain obesity, like the belly of a lute. It seemed to me that it evoked a leprechaun. So I named it that way. And now one day, this little elf character, through a Venezuelan medium, suddenly finds himself the father of a giant. This giant son looks like his father like an egg to another, a fig to another, a bell to another. Like the father, it is difficult to define. And like all definitions, the one given on Monday was different from the one on Tuesday. Any definition of matter, of the atom, from the pre-Socratic to the present day ... what a disturbing cloud! Was this what made the young giant decide to become a cloud shepherd?

1 comment:

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

To paraphrase Arp: “To me it look like a leprechaun to me!”

Life ain’t easy for a boy named Shushan

On April 22, William Wright posted “ Shushan! ” The title is a reference to a scene in Johnny English Reborn where a male flight attendant ...