Sunday, December 31, 2023

Temple clothing in reverse, green shooting star, green figs

It's been 22 years since I last set foot in a Mormon temple, and the distinctive clothing worn there isn't something I think about very often. Basically, it's all white, with the exception of a small apron, which is green. The outfit for men includes what looks like a baker's hat.

I like to have some idea of the physiognomy of the authors I read, and so I've been trying, without success so far, to find a photo of Daymon Smith. One correspondent suggested that if I couldn't see his face I could at least hear his voice by looking up an interview he did some time back on the Mormon Stories podcast. I found a four-part series of such interviews, recorded in 2010, and listened to some of them. The third episode dealt with the corporate side of the CJCLDS and ended with a story about how economically motivated decisions had led first to a glut and then to a shortage of temple clothing.

The interviews were very well conducted and interesting, and I realized I'd never listened to anything else from Mormon Stories before, so I decided to give them a try. I started with what YouTube told me was their most popular episode: a two-part interview with Brinley Jensen, who served as a missionary during the birdemic hysteria and was sent home early due to mental health issues. The interview was quite engaging in human-interest terms, and I listened to the whole thing. A few minutes into the second part they mention temple clothing, and specifically that it's all white with a green apron:

John: So you're in white, you're dressed in white.

Brinley: With the green, yeah.

Margi: Apron.

I was listening to this as I washed the dishes, and just then I noticed the logo on my dish detergent:


All green, including a baker's hat, with a white apron -- the Mormon temple color scheme in reverse. The brand is 小綠人, "Little Green Man," and they don't make any food products, so I'm not sure why their mascot is dressed as a baker. Because they use baking soda, I guess?

The Mormon apron is green because it represents the fig-leaf aprons worn by Adam and Eve. Here the whole man is green, so I thought, "I guess he's a fig-man."

Then I noticed the green shooting star that is also part of the logo. Last year I saw a green fireball in the sky, so later, after I'd finished the dishes, I looked up my post about it, called "Once in a red moon?" because my green fireball had been on the same day as a "Blood Moon" eclipse in the U.S. Ben left a comment connecting the red moon and shooting star with figs:

After the blood moon of Rev 6:12

6:13

And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind

Untimely figs would of course be green figs, which have come up many times on this blog.

1 comment:

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

The Daymon Smith interviews are dated May 13, 2010.

Just after posting this, for some reason, I thought of that old Santa Cruz City Council video and looked it up on YouTube. It's dated May 13, 2008.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5oVzbwYWpg

Life ain’t easy for a boy named Shushan

On April 22, William Wright posted “ Shushan! ” The title is a reference to a scene in Johnny English Reborn where a male flight attendant ...