Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Ya Hey

I've almost finished reading Daymon Smith's Cultural History of the Book of Mormon. The penultimate chapter of the last volume ends with a long quotation from the lyrics of the Vampire Weekend song "Ya Hey." Since I just posted on a song called "Hey Oh," this seems like a sync. Also, I can't stop listening to it.


The lyrics left untranscribed in this official lyric video are Latin: ut Deo.

But who could ever live that way?
Ut Deo, Ya Hey
Ut Deo, Deo

This phrase appears only once in the Bible, in Galatians 2:19. Ezra Koenig is Jewish, but the context ("who could ever live that way?") makes me think the New Testament allusion is intentional.

Ego enim per legem, legi mortuus sum, ut Deo vivam: Christo confixus sum cruci.

For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God: I am crucified with Christ.

The bridge mentions "spinning 'Israelites' into '19th Nervous Breakdown'"; not sure what the connection is.


3 comments:

Lucas said...

Now I have "Hey Ya" stuck in my head.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

Alright, alright, alright, alright, alright
Alright, alright, alright, alright, alright
Alright, alright, alright, alright

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

The weird audio editing makes "Ya Hey" sound more like they're saying hello in Navajo (yá'át'ééh, almost the only Navajo I ever learned).

Happy birthday, Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir

Today I was listening to "Mountain Sound" by Of Monsters and Men and wondered what the lead vocalist's name was. I looked her ...