Tuesday, September 19, 2023

The Stadium Arcadium covers

On September 11, I received an email from a sporadic correspondent who wishes to be anonymous. Among the things it mentioned was that Storm Thorgerson, who did the cover art for the Muse album Black Holes and Revelations, "did some other synchy (and famous) album art."

This sent me to Thorgerson's Wikipedia page, where I found that he designed the iconic Dark Side of the Moon cover for Pink Floyd. Scrolling through a list of other album covers he had designed, I found a few that had been in the sync stream before (Ween's The Mollusk, for example), but the entry that jumped out at me was this one:

  • Red Hot Chili Peppers
    • Stadium Arcadium (2006) (unused)

The last time I had received an email from this person, which was in May, I noticed that my correspondent's pseudonym and real name were linked to Lorenzo Snow (an old sync theme) by both gematria and etymology. This is what I was referring to when I wrote this in my May 8 post "Random Syncs: Ace of Swords, 1320."

I had recently been brooding over the Ace of Swords, the Marseille version, which features a red sword passing through a crown, and at the same time had (again!) been experiencing some synchronicities related to the name Lorenzo Snow. These latter had made me think of various other things with snow in their name. I listened to that Red Hot Chili Peppers song, and then I thought of the novel Snow Crash, which I read back in 2001.

In this post, and in the same-day follow up "Crowns, martyrs, and Mithras," I noted connections between the Marseille Ace of Swords, the cover of Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash, and Joan of Arc's coat of arms.


The Ace shows an upright red-bladed sword passing through a crown from which hang a laurel branch (etymologically related to Lorenzo) and a palm frond; colorful bits of flame fill the background. The Snow Crash cover shows an upright red sword passing through both the name Stephen (meaning "crown") and the anagram CRNOW, as well as the word Snow; colorful dots fill the background. The sword also passes through ARC spelled backwards.

As mentioned above, Lorenzo Snow made me first think of the Red Hot Chili Peppers song "Snow (Hey Oh)," which I listened to, after which I moved on to Snow Crash. I've never been a big RHCP fan and don't know their music very well, so it wasn't until June 29 that I found out what album "Snow" is from: Stadium Arcadium.


There's no sword here, but there's a crown-like ring around the album title, and if you remove the repeated -adium element, what's left is St. Arc.

Going back to Storm Thorgerson's unused cover ideas for Stadium Arcadium, it turns out that he submitted three of them. Here are two:



Four rivers meeting at a central point, where a tree grows, and an eaten apple -- clear Garden of Eden symbolism. I am currently reading William Fairfield Warren's Paradise Found, which argues that Eden was located at the North Pole. Here's part of the table of contents.


Here's Mercator's famous map of the Arctic:


The third proposed Stadium Arcadium cover has no Eden symbolism but turned out to be the synchiest of all:


In the very same email that had mentioned Thorgerson's album art, my correspondent included a screenshot of a glitching video game in which only half of the character's body was sticking up from the ground:


The character even has a Scandinavian name, like Storm Thorgerson.

4 comments:

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

“Charlie” is on that album, too. They should’ve called it Cocaine Thesaurus.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

Today one of my adult students asked, “Why are hot peppers called chilly peppers? Doesn’t chilly mean cold?” Pretty obvious sync with a “chilly” song (“Snow”) by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Anonymous said...

The one with people flying through the ceiling syncs for me with a Rageaholic youtube video of glitches in the new Starfield game where NPCs inexplicably ascend through the ceiling.

WanderingGondola said...

Hah, yeah! A friend shared that with me last week. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1yOh-XRpEQs

Notes for the uninitiated:
Todd = Todd Howard, the game's director. He gets memed on for the many bugs in his company's (admittedly huge) titles, and various previous statements
"T" pose = a default stance used when modelling human(oid) game characters
Andromeda = Mass Effect: Andromeda, an infamously glitchy game

When you notice the stripes

I was recently digging through old files to find The Tinleys , and one of the things I ran into was "A Pedestrian Speech for Bill Clint...