Saturday, June 27, 2026

I don't see how Mormonism recovers from this shocking discovery

This showed up on my YouTube feed.


The video title is "Did Joseph Smith Steal Christian Theology and Repackage It As a New Religion?"

We should keep in mind that this is just an unsubstantiated conspiracy theory at this point, but what if it turns out to be true? Can you imagine the chutzpah of pretending to found a brand new religion with all these new doctrines when in fact it's secretly just Christianity? And then selling it to Christians, no less! This could absolutely destroy Mormonism if it gets out.

It kind of reminds me of this other conspiracy theory. People laughed at it, but there's actually quite a lot of evidence to back it up.

7 comments:

Bruce Charlton said...

I suppose this news was deliberately released during the soccer world cup, in hope to "bury" the story. But this cannot work for long, an explosion of this size of a bombshell cannot be muffled. Sooner or later people will realize that self-styled "Mormonism" was just re-packaged Christianity.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

Very devious of them!

Speaking of the so-called "soccer" World Cup, I've heard rumors that this trendy new sport is actually just warmed-over football.

Bruce Charlton said...

Aside from the serious point of this post; I recently discovered the etymology of the strange and alien word "soccer" derives from Oxford University slang of the late 19th-early 20th century - the social niche of Bertie Wooster and his like: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?108602-All-Sports-All-The-Time&p=1718702#post1718702

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

Yes, it's one with rugger, footer, etc. (Who could forget Roderick Spode's "footer bags" in The Code of the Woosters?) Thoroughly English.

Dagoth said...

Wait, that 2nd story, I did Not-See that coming.

Bruce Charlton said...

I wondered *why* the video illustrated a story of Joseph Smith with a (sort of) picture of Brigham Young... until I checked out and discovered that the channel ("The Grace") is one of those 100% "AI"-generated "daily drivel" outfits that have been vomiting-out garbage over the past year; gathering tiny numbers of views per video - And Yet being heavily promoted by YouTube recommendation algorithms.

Shurely shumthing wrong there.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

So it's just another Artificially Smart System making an ASS of itself. That makes it much less funny.

Popular posts