Monday, February 1, 2021

Small hands, you say?

I know I said I was done with the election, but a sync is a sync and I have a sort of responsibility to report it.

Last night, I received a new comment on my January 11 post "Darkest hour." This post is illustrated with a picture from the Babylon Bee of President Trump holding "the Darksaber" (something from Fake Star Wars, I think) and connects that word dark with Jeanne d'Arc.


The comment, from one Drew, reads:

It occurred to me last night—and I'm sure you're aware of this already, but I haven't seen you explicitly mention it in your writing—that Joan of Arc saved France from a false (or disputed) claimant to the French throne. Indeed, the English king Henry V and his heir Henry VI (in his minority) possessed the French throne for nine years after the treaty of Troyes in 1420.

The connections to our present difficulties, our disputed "throne," are even more pronounced.

Forgive me if this is obvious to everyone. It wasn't immediately obvious to me.

This morning, after a week or two of not reading much other than blogs and the Bible, I picked up Mark Twain's Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc, which I started some time ago but am not very close to finishing. Right there, on the very first page I opened up to, I read this:

When God fights it is but small matter whether the hand that bears His sword is big or little.

Joan is speaking of herself, of course, responding to those who doubt

how a country-girl, ignorant of war, can take a sword in her small hand and win victories where the trained generals of France have looked for defeats only, for fifty years -- and always found them.

Still, small hands -- who does that remind me of?

I make no predictions. I just want to let people know that the sync fairies are still at it -- and, despite everything, I still kind of trust the little guys.

2 comments:

HomeStadter said...

Wake up, little Susie, wake up

We both fell sound asleep
Wake up little Susie and weep
The movie's over, it's four o'clock
And we're in trouble deep
...
The movie wasn't so hot
It didn't have much of a plot
We fell asleep, our goose is cooked
Our reputation is shot

Wake up, little Susie

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

Words you say to me
I listen in sympathy
But I don't know what it is
That makes me ignore you
. . .
I don't want to wake up now

Build and strengthen

Last night I was once again creating a glossary to accompany an English reading assignment for my Taiwanese students. The article had to do ...