Wednesday, March 30, 2022

The many-eyed whale shows up again

Back in 2014, in the early hours of April 26, I had a dream which proved to be precognitive.

I dreamed that I was watching TV and saw an image of what I interpreted as being a whale with many eyes, though I only saw its face. It was blue in color, with a row of eyes on the left and a row of eyes on the right — perhaps eight eyes in all. It also had feelers on the sides of its mouth like a catfish. I dreamed that, after seeing this, I got on Wikipedia to do some research, trying to find out if whales with many eyes actually existed. I found information about a particular gene (with a Latin-sounding name which I no longer remember), rare but not unheard of (comparable to albinism), which manifests sometimes in whales and other animals and causes them to have several pairs of eyes. Now that I knew the name of the gene, I ran a Google image search on it and found several pictures of animals with it — several blue whales, killer whales, and other cetaceans, as well as a couple of tigers. As I did this online research, I had the feeling that I had learned about this gene once before but had forgotten about it. My reaction was, “Oh, yeah, that’s right. That gene.”

Last night, my recent interest in John Dee led me to search the archives of The Higherside Chats for his name and listen to an interview with Jason Louv called "John Dee, Enochian Magick, & the Empire of Angels." Louv discusses how the "angels" with whom John Dee and Edward Kelley interacted were quite different from the precious pink cherubs of popular imagination, and he recounts their meeting with what was supposedly God himself.

And at one point they even meet God, and God is not an old man with a white beard up in the clouds. God is a whale covered with eyes from head to toe, from the mouth of which emits a deafening sound that Dee and Kelley say is like a cave of roaring lions. And they go into it and see reality peeled back, the thirty aethyrs of reality unveiled from within the mouth of the whale. So that's a little different from the Hallmark version.

This remind me of a passage near the end of Scott Alexander's novel Unsong. One of the characters is having a dialogue with God about the problem of evil whilst pursuing the Leviathan on the ship Not A Metaphor. The passage I quote below begins with God speaking.

"I did not say, Ana Thurmond, that your world is good now. I said that Adam Kadmon, its seed, was a good seed. That it will unfold, bit by bit, ringing conclusion after conclusion from its premises, until finally its own internal logic culminates in its salvation."

"How?" asked Ana, begging, pleading, shouting.

"Come and see," said God.

Then the Leviathan wheeled around, opened its colossal maw, and engulfed the Not A Metaphor. The ship spent a single wild moment in its mouth before the monster closed its jaws and crushed them all into tiny pieces.

Like Dee and Kelley, she had to enter the mouth of on otherworldly whale in order to receive the final revelation.

No comments:

Loaves of gold

(Not to be confused with " Leaves of gold .") Wherever these bread syncs are going, the sync fairies seem intent on connecting all...