Sunday, March 27, 2022

The New Orleans Saint

Yesterday I received this email:

Here's a synchronicity that Wm may appreciate.  Yesterday, I saw a sign on someone's lawn that said "We love our saint" with a fleur de lys underneath it.  I don't know what the people who put up the sign meant by it, but there is definitely a connection to St. Joan. 

Trying to guess what it could have meant, I replied,

Could it have been plural, Saints? The Saints football team has a fleur-de-lys as their logo.

I know and care nothing about football and have never lived anywhere near New Orleans, and this was probably the first time in my life I have ever had occasion to refer to that team.

The next day, today, I listened to the latest episode of The Higherside Chats, "The Psyop circus, para-geopolitics, and signs of the times." Near the end, the host, Greg Carlwood, briefly mentioned that the Los Angeles Rams, whose colors are blue and yellow, won the Super Bowl on February 14, 2022, and just 10 days later those colors were suddenly everywhere. He said that he thought the Super Bowl was probably rigged and was used to send messages like that -- for instance, if he remembered correctly, the New Orleans Saints had won the Super Bowl just before Hurricane Katrina.

He hadn't remembered correctly. The Saints' only Super Bowl win to date was in 2010, five years after Katrina. So, a completely random reference to the New Orleans Saints just a day after I received that email. The synchronicity fairies are apparently trying to get my attention.

The pairing of the fleur-de-lys with the word saint is not directly connected to Saint Joan, the Maid of Old Orleans. The team takes its name from the song "When the Saints Go Marching In," and the fleur-de-lys has long been used as a symbol of New Orleans because of its French heritage.

2 comments:

A said...

I just finished "Something Fresh" by Wodehouse last night. The main love interest woman is named Joan Valentine. I think Wodehouse meant this as a joke because Valentine obviously refers to romance, while the Joan character is a strong, independent, and daring/brave woman - and both are names of Saints.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

“Joan Valentine” — and I mentioned the date February 14 in this post!

Valentine is also the married name of my sister Kat, whose portrait of Saint Joan has made a few appearances on this blog.

Build and strengthen

Last night I was once again creating a glossary to accompany an English reading assignment for my Taiwanese students. The article had to do ...