Sunday, July 28, 2024

Mont Rose

On July 24, William Wright posted "Montrose," that being the name of a band Sammy Hagar was in before Van Halen. He discussed the etymology of Montrose, which is Gaelic and means "moor promontory." That surprised me. I had thought the etymology was obvious -- Mont Rose, French for "Rose/Pink Mountain" -- and wouldn't have bothered to look it up, but it turns out I was wrong. I left a comment to that effect, which William Wright referenced in his July 27 post "Painting in Pink." This latter post was about a dream in which he was trying to paint something white but found that his white paint had become mixed with another color (red, as he realized upon waking) and was now pink. This idea of white and red combining to make pink is a central theme of the post. In referencing my own incorrect assumption about the etymology of Montrose, he said it reminded him of this sign, which he had written about in his June 9 post "Running with Claire."


The photo was taken in Portland, Oregon, which is apparently known as the City of Roses, and so William assumed the pink flower is meant to be a rose. So there's Mont with a pink rose under it -- a clear sync with Mont Rose, since the second element of that name means both "pink" and "rose" in French.

Today, July 28, I happened to pass this sign in my urban peregrinations:


It's a perfume ad that says "Montblanc Legend Red." Montblanc is Mont Blanc, French for "White Mountain," written as a single word -- just as Montrose is Mont Rose, French for "Pink Mountain," written as a single word. This is juxtaposed with the English word Red; and, as William's post emphasizes, white and red combined make pink. Legend comes from a Latin word meaning "to be read." This syncs with the two colors because in English it sounds the same as "to be red," and because it contrasts with blank (from blanc), since a blank page is not to be read. The ad as a whole made me think about the old riddle about how a newspaper is "black and white and re(a)d all over," since the model is shown in black and white but is presumably supposed to be wearing the fragrance Legend Red, or "read red."

Seven minutes later (by the timestamps on my photos), I passed a bookshop with this displayed in the window:


It's a Chinese translation of the 1910 A. E. W. Mason detective novel At the Villa Rose. The Chinese title is 玫瑰山莊. The first two characters together mean "rose," and the third character means "mountain." Mont Rose again. The cover illustration shows a white skeleton holding a red rose, so there's the white + red theme, too. And of course it's a book, which is meant "to be read."


Note added (next day):

As William Wright mentions in a comment, Montblanc's logo is star-shaped and represents the snowcap on Mont Blanc. The logo doesn't appear on the ad shown above, but 25 minutes after taking that photo, I passed this:


This photo is of a watch shop, which was closed when I passed it. Apparently Montblanc's main product line is neither perfume nor watches, though, but pens. The company's Wikipedia article has a photo of a pen called the StarWalker.

3 comments:

William Wright (WW) said...

An interesting thing about Montblanc is they have a 6-pointed white star as their emblem (they specifically call it a star) that is also meant to represent the peak of Mont Blanc and its glaciers.

So, another instance where a Mountain is equivalent or synonymous with a Star.

I only know this because back in 2021, when I began writing a little bit in the aftermath of 2019 and 2020, I became strangely interested in fountain pens. I purchased several and would experiment with different colored inks and different sized nibs. Eventually, I found a second-hand Montblanc Meisterstuck 146 at a local store that specializes in pens.

It is one of the reasons when I saw the bottle of red fragrance in this add you posted, it at first reminded me of a bottle of red ink.

The word "Legend" in Elvish is Nyarna, and this word has come up in my previous words, as well as in a recent dream back in May in a post that also dealt with "Brittany Spears":

https://coatofskins.blogspot.com/2024/05/nyarna-and-brittany-spears.html

In the follow-up post to this, I compared these "Brittany Spears" to the Stones. In that post I guessed the Sawtooth and Anor, but I would change that today to be the Sawtooth and Ithil Stones, I think, which gets us back to that Red and White symbolism, and the mixing into Pink.

All said, the "Red Legend" could very well relate to the story that is on the Red Sawtooth Stone.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

The snowcap logo is another link to Mont Rose, since that mountain’s name means not “rose” but “glacier.”

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

Shortly after connecting Mont Rose with Montblanc, which is primarily a pen company, I noticed a book by Roger Penrose in my study, shelved right next to Eco’s The Name of the Rose. I’ve photographed these shelfmates for this blog before:

https://narrowdesert.blogspot.com/2023/10/jesus-is-my-librarian.html

The name Penrose doesn’t actually have anything to do with pens or roses. Like Montrose, it is Celtic. It means “head of the moor.”

Mountain, Town, Ace

I saw this today on the side of a white Toyota van; It’s a model I’ve never seen in America, but you see it from time to time in Taiwan. The...