Friday, April 1, 2022

Call me Ishmael.

After a few days of the synchronicity fairies harping on the the idea of the whale as a metaphysical symbol, it is inevitable that one's thoughts should turn to Moby-Dick. I read Moby-Dick back in 2006, and it blew me away. I thought I was probably going to keep reading and rereading it for the rest of my life. As things have played out, though, I never did read it again. The same goes for Paradise Lost, which I read at about the same time.

(Why did I pick up Moby-Dick in the first place? Because someone had told me, without elaborating, that he thought I might be Herman Melville reincarnated. That never really panned out, either.)

Anyway, about the name Ishmael.

When I left the Mormon Church, which was four years before I had read any Melville, my newfound atheism coexisted uneasily with an absurd but unshakable feeling that I was doing what God wanted me to do. (Nowadays, I think that may have been true. God  needed to get me out of the institutional church to which I was so tightly bound, and only a total loss of faith would do the trick.) At that time, a passage from the Book of Mormon came to mind, ripped from its context, and I applied it to myself (which is what Nephi said we should be doing with scripture anyway!).

And Aaron said unto the king: Behold, the Spirit of the Lord has called him another way; he has gone to the land of Ishmael, to teach the people of Lamoni.

Now the king said unto them: What is this that ye have said concerning the Spirit of the Lord? Behold, this is the thing which doth trouble me (Alma 22:4-5).

"The Spirit of the Lord has called him another way" -- that was the exact feeling. But what was "the Spirit of the Lord"? What could any of that possibly mean to an atheist. Behold, this is the thing which did trouble me.

The Aaron and Ishmael mentioned in the passage I have quoted are not the familiar biblical figures, but the occurrence of the name Ishmael nevertheless made me think of Genesis.

And the angel of the Lord said unto her, Behold, thou art with child and shalt bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael; because the Lord hath heard thy affliction.

And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him; and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren (Gen. 16:11-12).

As a firstborn son who had just officially made himself the black sheep of the family, to live as "a wild man" unmoored from institutions, I identified with this Ishmael, too, and I read all the biblical connotations of Ishmael into the Book of Mormon line about being "called . . . another way . . . to the land of Ishmael."


Remembering all these things today, I realized that there is another figure who is called a "wild man" in Mormon scripture: the biblical prophet Enoch.

And it came to pass that Enoch went forth in the land, among the people, standing upon the hills and the high places, and cried with a loud voice, testifying against their works; and all men were offended because of him.

And they came forth to hear him, upon the high places, saying unto the tent-keepers: Tarry ye here and keep the tents, while we go yonder to behold the seer, for he prophesieth, and there is a strange thing in the land; a wild man hath come among us (Moses 6:37-38).

The name Enoch is of course a link, in very general terms, to John Dee and his "Enochian" system -- but what I saw when I read this was the mention of Enoch "standing upon the hills." Later, at the end of Joseph Smith's Enoch narrative, God receives Enoch "up into his own bosom" (Moses 7:69). The language reminded me of what the angels said to Dee: "The Hill is the World, The waters are the bosome of God, . . . The Whale is the spirit of God." This links Enoch not only to Dee, but specifically to the center of the current sync-storm: Dee's whale on a hill.

Dee did not specify what kind of whale it was, but the sync fairies have associated it specifically with the orca, or killer whale -- and, as I shall explain presently, Enoch = Behemoth = killer whale on a hill.

The Enoch-Behemoth connection comes from the apocryphal book of 2 Esdras.

Then didst thou ordain two living creatures, the one thou calledst Enoch, and the other Leviathan;

And didst separate the one from the other: for the seventh part, namely, where the water was gathered together, might not hold them both.

Unto Enoch thou gavest one part, which was dried up the third day, that he should dwell in the same part, wherein are a thousand hills:

But unto Leviathan thou gavest the seventh part, namely, the moist; and hast kept him to be devoured of whom thou wilt, and when (2 Esdras 6:49-52).

Leviathan, the great sea monster, is always paired with Behemoth, the great monster of the land. Here, for some reason, the name Enoch is used instead, but the context makes it obvious that it means Behemoth, not the prophet. And note that hills are mentioned again -- Enoch's domain is "wherein are a thousand hills."

But surely it is Leviathan that is to be identified with the whale, not Behemoth! Melville continually refers to whales as Leviathans, and it is even the word for "whale" in modern Hebrew. Whatever Behemoth might have been, it obviously wasn't a whale, right?

Well, I grew up reading not only the Apocrypha but also old D&D manuals, so I can tell you that Behemoth is a whale -- and not just any whale, but specifically a killer whale on a hill. This is a scan from the 1980 edition of Deities and Demigods. (Fortunately, you can find anything on the Internet!)


How perfect a match is that? Behemoth -- alias Enoch -- is portrayed as "a killer whale . . . that inhabits the plains and hills," and its inclusion in a book called Deities and Demigods also implies that it is in some sense -- like Dee's whale on a hill and Miller's orca -- a god.

Also, although the Behemoth picture itself was drawn by Paul Jaquays, check out the name of the first illustrator credited on the title page.

7 comments:

Joe said...

I only read to the part where you mention a link between Enoch and whales...and it made me remember something from 2nd Esdras
in the KJV.

2 Esdras 6:49 KJV "Then didst thou ordain two living creatures, the one thou calledst Enoch, and the other Leviathan;"

Strangely where we would expect "Behemoth" we get "Enoch."

Later translations correct it but I'm not sure they do so textual authority.

NRSV: 49 "Then you kept in existence two living creatures;[a] the one you called Behemoth[b] and the name of the other Leviathan."

NRSV Footnotes
2 Esdras 6:49 Syr Ethiop: Lat two souls
2 Esdras 6:49 Other Lat authorities read Enoch

joe said...

Oops. I should have read the whole thing. You already found that.

Anonymous said...

I think this sync storm is starting to pull in your readership. I had this page open in another tab, to read after your post:https://www.xenopolitix.com/post/enoch-enoch-enoch

Ben Pratt said...

How perfectly wonderful and bizarre. In my first comment of this sync cycle--syncle?--I mentioned that I arrived at the Tarot imagery of the one mighty and strong via the tiny town of Enoch, Utah. If we take the folk etymology for Utah, that's "Enoch (on) Top(s) of the Mountains."

Ben Pratt said...

Enoch whale?

Enoch Zion, Jonah whale.

I find myself wondering what will kick off the inevitable second biblical pun correction. Jonah Zion? Jonah Seer? Jonah Hill (gross)?

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

For readers unfamiliar with Mormon scripture, in Joseph Smith’s telling of the story, Enoch is closely associated with Zion, the city which he founded and which ascended to heaven with him.

For the rest of the world, Zion is the city of David, not Enoch — but the name originally referred to a hill, of all things!

Enoch Zion? Enoch Watchers, David Zion.

By the way, I could swear that when I checked the THC website last night, the latest episode was called “The Book of Enoch,” but I just checked it again now to get the link, and it’s not there. I must have dreamed it.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

Unsong is definitely relevant to the current sync-storm. It has biblical whale puns as a running theme, and it also has the angels speaking (a parody of) the "Enochian" language revealed to Dee and Kelley.

In Dee's Enochian, Madrid means "iniquities," and Londoh means "kingdoms." Unsong comments, "It seemed like Edward Kelley might have been injecting his personal opinions into these transmissions just a little. Or, as we moderns sometimes say, that the medium was the message. So it came as quite a shock when the sky cracked and we met angels and they all spoke flawless Enochian."

A sample of "Enochian" from Unsong: "Edinburr Augsburg Trondheim Londoh Albyon Tudors. King Philip Papist tyrand Mary Queen of Scoths Madrid."

*

Since orcas have been particularly prominent in the sync-storm, I remembered that "Orca the covenant" is one of Unsong's biblical whale puns. Looking it up now, I find this (the brackets indicate telepathic communication):

[Aaron!] she pled. [Please! Orca the covenant! Shabbatlenose dolphin! Manatee of manatees, all is manatee!]

[You already used the first one before. And the second one is terrible. And the third one isn't even about whales.]

[It's about marine mammals!] Ana thought.


So right after the orca reference, a reference to manatees being marine mammals and therefore close enough to being whales.

Susan, Aslan, and dot-connecting

On April 22, William Wright posted " Shushan! ", which included a clip from the James Bond spoof movie  Johnny English Reborn  in ...