Saturday, October 28, 2023

How I imagined "cimeters" as a child

I had a healthy interest in weaponry as a child, and I certainly knew what a scimitar was, but I didn't make the connection that the cimeters in the Book of Mormon were a variant spelling of the same thing. I figured it was an untranslated word, like curelom, and referred to some distinctive Lamanite weapon for which there was no English name. When I was about seven or eight, I was pretty sure that a curelom was a Triceratops and that a cimiter looked like this:


I was never very good at explaining this to people. "I think it was like a Frisbee with spikes on it, on the end of stick" -- and they would always imagine something like a mushroom! 

I think this childhood image may have contributed to my later appreciation of the Man Who Knows How to Rick.


I think his ricking-stick probably has a spherical head, though, in which case it would not be a true cimeter. And if it does have a disk-shaped head, he's using it wrong. Obviously, you're not supposed to swing a cimiter like a tennis racket!

3 comments:

Martin Luther Bling said...

How do you know the direction in which he is swinging from a static image?

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

You can see from the way he's holding it that he's swinging it horizontally.

Jason said...

Its like one of those adult rattles for Indian ceremonies; if H_m_s atttacks the Lamanites during a music festival their rattle doubles as a mace to protect them.

Happy birthday, Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir

Today I was listening to "Mountain Sound" by Of Monsters and Men and wondered what the lead vocalist's name was. I looked her ...