Friday, October 27, 2023

Gold and silver keys

Starting on October 8, I've had a persistent feeling that I need to spend some time working through the symbolism of the Pope/Hierophant card of the Tarot, but so far I've mostly dismissed it, only doing the most cursory of work. One weird thing that did get my attention was that, while Waite decided to ditch the traditional title Pope in favor of the pagan Hierophant, at the same time he actually added more explicit papal symbolism to the card. For example, none of the earlier Pope cards I've looked at (Visconti-Sforza, various Marseille-style decks, Oswald Wirth) feature the crossed keys which are a standard symbol of the papacy, but Waite puts them in:


Weird, right? Why pretend that this is a "hierophant" but make him look even more papal than before? I know I said "for example," but actually the keys are the only instance of this I've found. In other respects, Waite's is a very traditional Pope card, with no other major innovations. So the question of those keys has been in the back of my mind.

Yesterday, William Wright posted "Stones and Keys: Run, boy, run!" He begins with a picture of the coat of arms of the Holy See and discusses the crossed keys, finding particular significance in the fact that one key is gold and the other silver. (Waite drops the ball here; his are both gold for some reason. Weird for a Golden Dawn type to miss a chance to throw in some extraneous Duality. See the contrasting habits of the two monks, for instance.)


This got my attention, given my recent (if a bit half-assed) interest in the crossed keys as a papal symbol. After I finished work tonight, I decided to get back on Mr. Wright's blog and read the post again. While I was rereading it, a little message from Windows popped up in the corner of my screen. It was only on the screen for a few seconds before disappearing, and it was all in Chinese, so I didn't really catch what it said, but I did notice the little icon that accompanied it:


Since I wasn't quick enough to get a screenshot, I had to search various helpsites about Windows 7 to find a copy of the icon to include here. (The one I saw was much smaller, though, like favicon dimension.) It seems the icon appears to warn you that you're about to be automatically logged off or that your password is going to expire. My computer isn't set up to do either of those things, so I'm sure what the message could have been about. If it ever shows up again, I'll catch it before it disappears.

Update: Here's another image I found online, which shows precisely the same icon I saw, same dimensions and everything:


Update (October 30): The message showed up again, and I screencapped it before it disappeared:


The Chinese says, "Enable Windows now. The activation period has expired. Please click this message to get started."

4 comments:

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

Note what a strange coat of arms that is in terms of heraldry. Both the tiara and the key in bend are supposed to be argent, but this always seems to be realized as two distinct tinctures, with a white tiara and a gray key. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that. In the image posted here (from the Vatican City website), the or is also realized in an unusual way, as brownish rather than bright yellow.

It seems they're going out of their way to make it clear that the keys are gold and silver, not yellow and white.

WanderingGondola said...

I've never seen that exact notification either. Its layout looks more like Windows 10, though. Don't remember 7's messages having icons, but I've not used it in a long time...

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

The notification I got didn't look like the picture; only the little key icon was the same. I think the picture is Windows 10, but I was using a Windows 7 machine when I got the key notification.

WanderingGondola said...

Ah, thanks for clarifying. It's been a long day...

The Menelmacar mudra; the hot bee of Fatima; and spiritual experiences on Monday, July 22

Last night, while in the hypnagogic state (i.e. in the process of falling asleep), I heard a woman's voice repeating " Pika thlein,...