Friday, April 19, 2024

Knowledge is baking powder, France is baking.

Last night (the night of April 17), I visited Engrish.com, a site I used to check fairly regularly but hadn't been to in, oh, years probably. I ended up scrolling through lots and lots of photos, two of which stood out as synchronistically interesting -- one at the time, and the other in retrospect the next day.

On April 17, William Wright had posted "Mbasse: The union of Bread and Eriol at the House of Tom Bombadil," incorporating some of my recent bread-related posts and Debbie's comments. One of the things he writes about is how, in his attempts to understand the significance of the word mbasse (Elvish for "to bake" or "bread"), the only thing he could come up with at first was his post from a few weeks earlier about how he had heard the name Francis Bacon as "France is bakin'." That was from his March 19 post "Francis Scott Key" (posted exactly a week before the collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore). In a comment there, I had left a link to my October 2023 post "Knowledge is power. France is bacon," which was also about misinterpreting the name Francis Bacon. It was in that context that the following Engrish.com post caught my eye:


The image is a sign on that says "Knowledge is powder," a mutated version of the famous Francis Bacon quote. The title of the post itself is "Keep baking, kids . . . ." I don't think that's a Bacon/bakin' pun like William Wright's, since Bacon isn't mentioned on the sign. I guess it's a reference to baking powder. So that's a very neat little sync-triangle, like the one I mention at the end of "Loaves of gold." My post links "Knowledge is power" with a misinterpretation of the name Francis Bacon; William's post links a misinterpretation of the name Francis Bacon with the word baking; and the Engrish post links the word baking with "Knowledge is power."

I've also noticed a "France is bakin'" link in my April 15 post "Bread is gold," which features this photo:


My focus was of course on the book titled Bread Is Gold, but notice the context: Two books to the right is Mastering the Art of French Cooking; two books to the left is No-Bake Baking.

The other interesting Engrish post became interesting only after I had seen the bread-and-butter T-shirt featured in my last post, "Beloved bread." Here it is:

5 comments:

Ra1119bee said...


william,

Is the illustration of the dog on the T Shirt a Corgi??

Connect my recent post about corgis, dwarfs, elves and Aubrey.

Coincidence????

Ra1119bee said...

William,


And speaking of Francis Bacon, 3 Knocks, eclispes,3 suns
Ohio State, Levitation, CERN, Great Resets, and Time Travel
( and if you haven't already) do check out this VERY intriguing Netflix series
titled: 3 Body Problem

If you're familiar with Netfix's series you'll know that there are several 'seasons'
with about 8 episodes per season.

I just found this new series(3 Body Problem) today ( 4-18 ) and it is extremely thought provoking chockful of symbolism.

Here are the two trailers.

3 Body Problem | Official Trailer | Netflix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mogSbMD6EcY


3 Body Problem | Final Trailer | Netflix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdvzhCL7vIA

Ra1119bee said...


William,

I just wanted to add one more interesting connection that is in
the 3 Body Problem movie which is this: In a virtual reality game
one of the players takes the avatar of Nicolaus Copernicus.

The interesting connection is that (according to Wiki) Copernicus
was born on Feb 19, which Feb 19 is my birthdate as well.

Different year however :-))))))))

Also, and lo and behold, check this out about Copernicus and Bread.

Nicholas Copernicus and the inception of bread-buttering
https://eurekamag.com/research/043/748/043748883.php

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

I'm not sure if it's meant to be a corgi or a shiba inu or what -- but whatever kind of dog it is, it's definitely pure-bread!

"Nicholas Copernicus and the inception of bread-buttering" -- If he'd publish a book-length version of that paper, I'd buy it just so I could have it on my shelf.

Ra1119bee said...

William,

Yeah, I think it's a Pembrook Welsh Corgi as the illustration of
the dog's body type is more of a squatty body than an adult Shiba Inu
which tends to be more lean.

Armored vultures and Cherubim

In my last post, " How is an armadillo like a griffon vulture in the Crimea? " vultures are connected, by way of armadillos, with ...