Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Love pop, baby, love pop

A couple of times yesterday, I checked William Wright's blog for updates, but there weren't any, so each time I checked, I just saw his latest post (September 7), "Love Pop follow-ups: Joseph and a Rainbow Stick." This had the effect of putting a song in my head: "Love Shack" by the B-52s, only with the word shack swapped out for pop:

The love pop is a little place
Where we can get together
Love pop, baby
A love pop, baby
Love pop, baby, love pop
Love pop, baby, love pop

And that's about all I knew of the lyrics to "Love Shack," so it was just that bit playing in my head again and again. Since the song had come up on Bill's blog before (April's "Love Shack: Heading down the Atalantë Highway"), I figured I should follow up the lead. I googled the "Love Shack" lyrics but got distracted by this image that came up in the search results:


This caught my eye because this past Sunday (at precisely 4:44 p.m.; lots of triple digits showing up these days), I had screencapped this /x/ post:


"Weird experiences and mormons" -- story of my life! The thread is here if you want to read it, but it's not that interesting. The OP just notes that Mormons keep showing up at his door while various other things (nightmares and such) are going on. I saved it because of a random hunch that the image meant something.

Obviously it's quite similar to the B-52s image above: a bright yellow background, a hypnotic design with concentric black circles, and in the middle a gay-looking dude with glasses in dark clothing. The man simultaneously suggests "Orion and his most excellent pose," the works of René Magritte, and Mary Poppins (Pop-pins).


Then there's the Spiraling Shape in the background.




After that little digression, I read the lyrics. These two bits stood out:

I got me a car, it's as big as a whale
And we're headin' on down to the love shack
I got me a Chrysler, it seats about twenty
So hurry up and bring your jukebox money

. . .

Hop in my Chrysler, it's as big as a whale
And it's about to set sail
I got me a car, it seats about twenty
So come on And bring your jukebox money

Twice we are told that his car, a Chrysler, is "as big as a whale." This syncs with "Whales and narrow roads," which also had a whale/transportation size comparison, with a whale "the size of a railway station." The car is also apparently a ship, as it's "about to set sail." Whales, ships, and railway stations makes me think of a cartoon I drew as a kid, which I don't think I have anymore, of Vikings at sea singing, "I've been working on the whale-road / All the live-long day . . . ."

Speaking of whales and roads, William Wright links whales and Wales in a comment on that post.


The B-52s song emphasizes that the car is a Chrysler. Chrysler, as I've mentioned before on this blog, comes from the German word for a spinning top -- a link to the Spiraling Shape.

Where are these syncs coming from? A good artist always signs her work:


The girl from Planet Claire also drives a Chrysler, by the way.



2 comments:

William Wright (WW) said...

That Planet Claire song is pretty fascinating. I'd never heard it.

On the Love Shack song, I looked up "Jukebox" because it jumped out at me after reading your references to Whale, Chrysler, etc.

Jukebox is a slang term (with apparently negative connotations originally) that became an official term for the Commercial Phonograph. A jukebox is really just a phonograph (i.e., Record Player).

Phonograph means "an instrument that produces sounds from a recording; instrument for recording". This seemed to be a pretty dead on hit for things like the "Recorders" (the Stones - like Zelda's Purah Pad) and their "Echoes" (their recordings, or literally "re-sounds").

So, it made me think that it is possible the singer is not saying to bring money to put in a jukebox, but rather the money that they have already received from a jukebox, or the Record Player (i.e., Stone). You don't want to forget that on the trip. That would be interpreting Jukebox Money in the same way that I wrote about Pumpkin Money (money gained from a Jukebox, just like money gained from pumpkins).

Sure enough, while money can mean "coins, currency" etc, which definitely works here, it apparently comes from the Latin "monere", which means "to advise, warn, admonish".

Advise means "to counsel", while admonish means "to bring to mind, or remind". Both of those phrases and meanings have come up in context of the Rose Stone.

In other words, the Jukebox Money that the B-52s are singing about for people to bring as they hop in the Whale-Chrysler on their way to the Love Shack can literally mean "the Record Player's Counsel or Reminders".

Per LDS endowment symbolism, such counsels and reminders would be good to have before approaching the door and knocking on it, or even getting past the angels who stand as sentinels (and prison keepers) trying to stop anyone who would pass.

Ra1119bee said...

William,
Also a well is a deep (black ) hole underground where
we source water contained in an aquifer.
Everything seems to circle back to water, no?

It's interesting that in the illustration you posted of the little
boy he is looking at a black abyss/hole.

And speaking of Chrysler, Walter Percy Chrysler was the
founder and namesake of the American Chrysler Corporation.

Walter Chrysler was born in Wamego, Kansas which "coincidently"
Kansas is on the 40th parallel north.
If you get a chance check out my recent comment
about Kansas and the Wizard of Oz
( on your Whale and Narrow Road post ).


Chrysler was also a locomotive engineer for the Kansas
Pacific Railway and its successor, the Union Pacific Railroad.
According to wiki Chrysler had a very extensive Railroad career.
Interestingly there is a railroad connection!
see link )
The Chrysler Corporation's headquarter in 1925 was in Highland
Park Michigan.

Also as you well know( since you are from that area)
Highland Park Michigan and Lake Erie are both located
on the 40 parallel north. ( the exact lat is 42, but do factor
in the Law of the Three).
Once again, back to the water.

And speaking of Wells and Aquifers and Chryslers( Oh My!)
I'm sure you know that The Great Lakes are the largest group
of freshwater lakes on Earth by total area
and the second-largest by total volume.
(sourced from Wiki)

And last but not least the word Juke means:
in sports, informal
: to make a false movement in order to deceive (an opponent)
from etymology:
copy and paste:
"lso juke-box, "machine that automatically plays selected
recorded music when a coin is inserted," 1939,
earlier jook organ (1937), from jook joint "roadhouse, brothel"
(1935), African-American vernacular, from juke, joog
"wicked, disorderly,"
~~~~~~~~~


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Chrysler
https://www.britannica.com/dictionary/juke

Dijon Butler confirmed

In my August 4 post " Dijon Butler and Elder J. Humpty Dumpty ," I noted that D. John Butler , the "GA name" under which...