Saturday, September 21, 2024

Eggers and Red Sons

Note: William Wright's new blog is not public, but I will include links to it anyway, for the convenience of those of my readers who have permission to view it. There's also the possibility that the blog will be made public at some time in the future, making the links usable by everyone. And in case you're wondering, yes, I do have Bill's permission to quote from his private blog publicly here.



Yesterday, William Wright posted "Fun with names: Arnold Schwarzenegger." Besides the old Schwarzenegg-er ("person from Schwarzenegg") and Schwarzer-neger ("black Negro"), he proposes the analysis Schwarzen-egger, meaning something like "black farmer," and he connects this with Adam. (See my old Black Adam syncs.)

When Bill pointed out that Egger is a German occupational name for a farmer, it reminded me of Dave Eggers, whose book The Circle came up in my July 12 post "Hatched by monkey." I've never read The Circle or any of Eggers's other books, though I used to read McSweeney's back in the day. I had bought The Circle some months before on a random whim, and then it had caught my eye in July in connection with my dream about a red book called Unhenned, since the cover of my copy is red, and the author's name includes the word egg. Today, after reading Bill's analysis of Arnold's surname as "Black Egger," I noticed it on my shelf again.


We have Eggers written in black, a clear link to Schwarzen-Egger. William had linked the Black Egger to Adam, which means "red" in Hebrew, and the book with the Black Eggers on it is red. In the center of the cover, inside a circle, is a pattern which I thought of as a "Celtic knot" when I first saw it months ago but which now seems an obvious reference to the "warp and woof" sync theme. (In the diagram below, weft is synonymous with woof.)


That the warp-and-woof pattern is inside a circle is a further sync, since my recent post "Warp and woof" identified warp with the radial lines and woof with the concentric circles in this diagram of a black hole:


Later in the day, I checked Bill's blog again and found that he had a new name analysis post up, "Fun with names: Amy Adams." He mentions that Adam means "red," something I had just been thinking about in connection with the Eggers book, and this is apparently a new discovery for him. Using that definition, he analyzes the surname Adams thus:

Now, Adams as a last name is typically taken to mean "Son of Adam".  Since Adam means "Red", we can take this name to mean "Son of Red", or as I will modify somewhat to "the Red Son". 

As mentioned above, Bill's first "Fun with names" post had led me to look up my old post "Hatched by a monkey," with its mention of Eggers. That post was mainly about a story one of my brothers had written as a child, with a main character named Desnor. The very last sentence of my post was this:

Desnor is an anagram of Red Son, which came up in my 2020 post "Robin Hood."

Coming back for a minute to Black Adam, the title character in the movie Black Adam (which I have not seen) is played by Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson. The name Dwayne means "black," and the rest of the actor's moniker is a strong link to Peter, who was originally called Simon son of John ("Johnson") but later went by Cephas or Peter, both of which mean "rock." The Bee even did a gag on this recently


So Black Adam is played by an actor whose name basically means Black Peter. Bill has connected Peter with a "black" theme for some time now, for example by identifying him with Balthazar, the Wise Man who is traditionally portrayed as Black.

In "Lassie Come Home," I connected Simon Barjona with another figure whose surname means "son of John": Davy Jones -- who is both a Monkee (as in "Hatched by a monkey") and the personification of a watery grave (and thus a link to Pharazon). This is a link to Eggers's first name, Dave.

No comments:

See the brown mice bob round and round the oatmeal chest

I woke up from a brief nap this afternoon with the Yeats poem “The Stolen Child” running through my head. It’s a poem I know well, and it ha...