Sunday, September 29, 2024

The eyeing d’Epstein -- plus Bonifacio Bembo and Optimus Prime

I dreamed that the TV mob boss Tony Soprano and I were sitting together on a teak settee, drinking beer and looking through a large coffee-table book full of photos of objets d’art from a museum’s collection. It was possible to reach into these photos and pull out the item depicted, which then became a three-dimensional object in one’s hand.

The last page of the book had a photo of the museum’s prize exhibit: a large, enormously complicated wooden chest full of moving parts and hidden compartments. Tony thought it was great. “The most expensive thing in the damn museum, worth more than all the rest put together, and what is it? A fucking box! Let’s put some stuff in it.”

So we started pulling items out of other pages and putting them in the box. One of these (the only one I can remember specifically) was a painting that looked like it was by Bonifacio Bembo, of Charlemagne. The background was painted naturalistically, in full color, but Charlemagne himself was all gold: gold skin, gold hair, gold clothing. We carefully peeled him off the painting and put him in the box, leaving the Bembo painting looking strangely empty, just background with no central subject.

I told Tony that I thought gangsters were the best people to hang out with because they have no filter, so you know the conversation will be totally uncensored. Tony enthusiastically agreed and said, “Let me tell you some shit no one else is gonna tell you. You know the dying Epstein? It’s more like the eyeing d’Epstein, know what I’m saying?”

I didn’t.

“Jeff’s dead, man. That means now he can see everything. A big old Jew eye in the sky looking down, and he doesn’t miss a thing. He’s changed the blackmail game forever, man. Anyone anywhere want some dirt on their enemies, they’re like, ‘Bring me up Jeff.’ You know what they say, ‘Strike me down’? Shit, man.”

(Note: I’ve never seen The Sopranos and know nothing about it except that Tony Soprano is a Mafia boss played by James Gandolfini. No idea how this character found his way into my dreams.)


Update: The dream turned out to be somewhat precognitive. I posted the above at 3:31 p.m. At 3:42 p.m., eleven minutes later, I popped into a used bookstore and found that they had for sale a replica of the Visconti-Sforza Tarot deck, marketed as "The Golden Tarot," and sold in an unusually complicated box:


Together with the cards in the box is a little book giving some historical background an including a photograph of each individual card. Thus each card -- among which are four Kings and an Emperor -- exists both as a photograph in a book and as a physical object you can hold in your hand. When I opened up the book, a name jumped out at me, and not only because it was the only English on a page of Chinese:


The original Visconti-Sforza cards, of which these are replicas, are believed to have been painted by none other than Bonifacio Bembo. Thirty-five of the original cards are now at the Morgan Library and Museum in New York, where, according to Gertrude Moakley, "They are kept in a fourteenth-century French casket-box made of dark brown calfskin, decorated in relief with scenes from a romance of chivalry." (A French romance of chivalry would likely revolve around Charlemagne and his Paladins.)

Curiosity about this casket led me to this video from the Morgan, which characterizes the Visconti-Sforza deck as "The Tarot Cards that Inspired Dior" -- meaning, I guess, the fashion brand, but it's also a name from Tolkien that has frequently come up on William Wright's blog.


Incidentally, on a shelf right next to the "Golden Tarot" in the bookstore, I spotted this:


Just hours earlier, I had read Bill's latest post, which is called "Optimus Prime" and features this image:


As everyone knows, we Mormons are "best friends with Optimus Prime."

10 comments:

William Wright (WW) said...

I noticed the little red book sitting next to Optimus Prime titled "You're so French!". That was pretty funny.

It looks to be authored by an "Isabelle Thomas". Isabelle is a form of Elizabeth, which I've tied consistently to Eowyn-Ilmare, and Thomas means "Twin". Translating that, we have "Eowyn Twin" as the author of the Red Book.

In my story, it is in fact Eowyn's Twin - Joseph-Ausir (whose other name Dior you brought up in this post) - who is the author of what is on the Rose Stone or Red Book.

Leo said...

Actually you have two red books there and a pink or rose colored book.

William Wright (WW) said...

Two other interesting things to note:

The second name on that red book is Frederique. This name means "Peace" or "Peaceful Ruler". I've referred to Asenath, who was the one who defeated the Balrog in Idaho, by that exact name. That victory directly led to the retrieval of the Rose Stone.


So, with a possible double meaning of Isabelle Thomas as referring to both Eowyn (Eowyn the Twin) and Joseph (Eowyn's Twin), Frederique symbolizing Asenath (Este, or Peace), and my post just yesterday on Optimus Prime and Faramir Gim Guru, you have all 4 of those Beings represented in the image.

The second interesting thing is the phrase "eyeing d'Epstein" that Tony was pontificating about. We obviously have "Stein" which is Stone in German. Different opinions on the etymology of the "Ep" part exist, but a commonly accepted one is this name means "Eppo's Stone" or "Stone of Eppo". Eppo is German for "Wild Boar"... so we have another reference to Pigs and Ham here, surprisingly, and the overall phrase meaning "The eyeing of the Wild Boar's Stone". The Pig's Stone. As fun play on words or connection, as I uncovered in my post from the other day, Pig-ment, the coloring that goes into paint and which I also noticed as a pig reference, meant originally "Red Dye". Thus we can draw a potential reference line to the Red or Rose Stone itself with that phrase, at least on one level of meaning.

Given that we are dealing with a Seer Stone here - something that people look into or "eye" - this phrase and connection would make complete sense.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

And “Bring me up Jeff” implicitly links Epstein (via the Witch of Endor incident) to Samuel, the prototypical Seer.

WanderingGondola said...

I've never seen The Sopranos either and know almost as much as you (I wouldn't have been able to name Gandolfini), but this came up during a friend's meme-sharing session last night. I think I get the general gist now: https://i.imgur.com/tYSE8Qz.jpeg
(A Google search for that book title indicates it's probably written by one Lindsay McKenna.)

You have, of course, written about that Tarot deck before; only now am I looking at it properly, and even with the ravages of time it's exquisite, as is what's shown of the replica version at the link below. (Do you have any thoughts on a translation of the banner shown on some cards? The article writer suggests a French phrase despite the deck's Italian origin.)
https://jackofwandstarot.wordpress.com/2015/12/10/a-review-of-the-golden-tarot-the-visconti-sforza-deck/

I'm intrigued at some of the differences compared to modern decks -- Fortitude's whacking of the lion, the Chariot's winged horses, the Sun's red head. Most peculiar is Death with a bow and arrow instead of a scythe. I went a-Googling to see how common the scythe is (very, unsurprisingly) and stumbled upon a page with a large variety of modern Death cards, the quality varying wildly. For whatever reason I scrolled through the lot; the third link goes to an odd one that caught my eye because of Colombia (as WW recently posted about) and Esperanza (a word I've occasionally synched on).
https://www.themorgan.org/collection/tarot-cards/thumbs
https://comparativetarot.tumblr.com/tagged/Death
https://www.behance.net/gallery/118102363/El-Tarot-de-Colombia

As for Epstein, I'll refrain from repeating the usual line, but do recall what I've said about how he died. Dunno if that knowledge will ever become widespread.

Leo said...

Back when I was a true blue Mormon, I once attended the temple for initiatory. The man performing the rituals asked me if I know what “Ebbert” meant and I did not. He said it was a form of the German last name Eberhard which according to him meant “heart of the boar(pig)” and was indicative of a clan that hunted the boar. I was amazed he would know such a thing about a pretty rare last name. I don’t remember his explanation of how he knew that but I remember thinking it wasn’t a very good one and still seemed odd to me he would know that.

Regardless, he was mostly correct. The heart and hunting part wasn’t completely accurate but according to the internet, “ Ebbert is a North German surname that is derived from the personal name Ebbert, which is an assimilated form of Egbert. It may also be a variant of the surname Ebert, which is a shortened form of Eberhardt.”

The meaning is more like “wild boar, brave/strong/hardy”. Maybe a tie in to the Egbert mystery, pigs, etc.

William Wright (WW) said...

Risking one more comment in this party...

In light of the connection between d'epstein and the Rose Stone (in my view), the character and name of Tony Soprano also now becomes extremely relevant.

I've linked the Seer from 2 Nephi 3 with the servant that Jesus prophesied about in 3 Nephi 20. That servant, Jesus says, "shall deal prudently; he shall be exalted and extolled and be very high."

Tony's first name can mean either "priceless one" or "praiseworthy", which gets to the the figurative meaning of those words. Exalt and extol can mean "to praise"; that meaning is given in Etymonline to both of those words.

But I also take Jesus' words very literally, in that the servant will be in a 'high' place relative to our own - exalted or lifted up to a high place. "Soprano" literally means 'high' or 'above', as I understand it.

The fact that the character of Tony Soprano is a criminal, and thus an 'outlaw' or considered as such by those seated high in positions of power, makes the reference all the more specific, I think. In my story, even the Holy Ghost (who I think is that servant Jesus identifies) will be considered an outlaw or criminal by such Beings.

William Wright (WW) said...

Leo:

Sorry, just read your full comment after I posted my own. So Ebbert means Wild Boar? That is pretty interesting.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

It turns out that Isabelle Thomas and Frederique Veysset have appeared on this blog before:

https://narrowdesert.blogspot.com/2024/08/the-red-redeemed-seer-stone.html

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

The banner on some of the VS cards is apparently the Visconti family motto, recommended to them by the poet Petrarch: "abon droyt," or "to the good, the right."

I discuss some of the history of the Grim Reaper image in this post: https://magicianstable.blogspot.com/2019/04/the-reaper-of-marseille.html

Mazzy Dog Star

Yesterday, a screenshot of this little exchange was posted, and roundly ridiculed, on /pol/: For some reason, the idea of this guy's pup...