Monday, September 30, 2024

Mazzy Dog Star

Yesterday, a screenshot of this little exchange was posted, and roundly ridiculed, on /pol/:


For some reason, the idea of this guy's puppy being named Mazzy stuck with me, and I kept thinking about it. For reasons I can't really articulate, it struck me that anyone who would name his dog that must be an annoying person. So persistent was this random idea that I looked up Mazzy to see if it was a real name and if so what it meant. Apparently, there's a band called Mazzy Star, and the name is so closely associated with that band that someone on a baby name forum said naming your daughter Mazzy would be the equivalent of naming your son Lynyrd (as in the band name Lynyrd Skynyrd).

A few hours after seeing and strangely fixating on this post, I was out and about and did a double take when I saw someone wearing a T-shirt with a picture of a beagle wearing a football helmet, with the name MAZZYS written on the helmet in big letters. On second glance, it turned out to be HAZZYS, not MAZZYS, but it still struck me as quite a coincidence.

I didn't get a photo, nor was I able to find that exact shirt online. I found these two, though:


The one on the left has the helmet, and the one on the right has the name HAZZYS, and you can see it's the same dog. The one I saw had the name written on the front of the helmet.

Then today in my regular scripture study I read the last few chapters of Job, including this:

Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion? Canst thou bring forth Mazzaroth in his season? or canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons? (Job 38:31-32)

Mazzaroth, which might be abbreviated to Mazzy, is a hapax legomena, referring to some unknown constellation or constellations, and is left untranslated in most Bibles. One common understanding is that it is a general reference to the entire zodiac. However, the two Dog constellations are closely associated (in Hesiod, for example) with the Pleiades and Orion, so if it refers to a specific constellation (as it must; the whole zodiac can't very well have "his season"), one of the Dogs would be a good guess.

No comments:

I don’t like ham

In his September 28 post " Jupiter Bigfoot and 'I hate ham' " William Wright reports a brief dream: In one dream, I read w...