Thursday, May 16, 2024

Parties within parties

I just checked William Wright’s blog, where his latest post is “Alpha and Omega, and the 144 or gross.” He mentions Bilbo  Baggins’s birthday party:

I believe I've mentioned before that The Lord of the Rings actually starts with symbolism regardingthe number 144.  At Bilbo' birthday/ farewell party (held on September 22), while the entire town was invited to the overall celebration, there was an invitation-only dinner party for 144 individuals comprising Bilbo and Frodo's extended family.  The party within the party.

If I heard the phrase “the party within the party” without context, I would assume it meant a political party, something like the Inner Party in 1984. Here, though, it means a party in the sense of a social event.

Immediately after reading that post, I checked AC and read this quote from football player Aaron Rodgers’s recent interview on Tucker Carlson:

I’ve seen some interesting things.. Been around some interesting parties and gatherings that are strange. Not anything like Diddy party… Even at an Oscar party seeing how some of these people act, a little strange. Parties within the party that always kind of weirded me out a little bit.

Almost exactly the same expression, and again referring to a social gathering rather than a political party.

Rodgers also mentions, “There’s a pedophile component to it as well which is really sick.” Sick? Okay, but don’t you think gross is really the mot juste here?

No comments:

You'll find them in a lion's mouth

Very early yesterday morning (12:30 a.m. Taiwan time), I received an email from Leo in which he mentioned a certain connection between himse...