Sunday, May 5, 2024

Tennessee Walts, plus that dog-stealing alien in New Jersey again

William Wright's May 4 post "Liberty Bell Follow-Up: The Liberty Bowl" begins with a reference to his "post earlier today on the Walts" -- meaning two different people named Walt: Walt Whitman and a TV character called Walter White. Walts sounds like waltz, and although there are obviously lots of different waltzes out there, the one that immediately came to mind when I read Walts was the 1950 Patti Page song "Tennessee Waltz." It started playing in my head as I read the rest of the post.


The post goes on to say that while William was finishing up his post on "the Walts," he glanced up at the TV and saw that it was showing a football game being played in Memphis, Tennessee.

William's two Walts -- both of whom have "white" surnames -- reminded me that a few years back I posted about another Walt in connection with the color black. My Leap Day 2020 post "A lost alchemical poem of Raleigh's" is about a dream I had in which I was reading a book called Ralegh the Alchemiste which quoted a line from Walter Raleigh -- "My Bodie will blacken and turne into Coale" -- and interpreted it as a reference to the alchemical process of nigredo, or blackening.

I then went on to note that, in the real world, that line is not Raleigh's but comes from a folk song sung by, among other people, Tennessee Ernie Ford. So yet another Tennessee-Walt connection.

Curious as to whether this was going to lead anywhere, I searched my own blog for tennessee. I didn't find any more Walts, but I did find a surprising coincidence in my August 2020 post "Synchronicity: Crop circle in Charlton." At the end of the post, I quote from Jacques Vallée's Passport to Magonia. Vallée tells the story of one Everett Clark, of Dante, Tennessee, who reported that a UFO had attempted to steal his dog on November 6, 1957, and then notes the "extraordinary coincidence" that "on the same day another attempt to steal a dog was made, this time in Everittstown, New Jersey." A footnote adds, "By yet another coincidence, the name of the town in the second case is similar to the name of the witness (Everett) in the first one."

If that sounds at all familiar, it's because I just quoted John Keel's account of the Everittstown dog-stealing incident two days ago, in "Hometo Omleto." I had no memory of having posted another reference to the same incident back in 2020, and I would have been none the wiser had the Tennessee Walt syncs not led me to search for tennessee. Both Keel and Vallée refer to lots of different UFO stories in their respective books, but the sync fairies singled out the same one twice.

No comments:

Peering deep into the hat

I watched a few minutes of a video YouTube recommended, “ Showing the Mormon Church NO MERCY w/ John Dehlin & Carah Burrell ,” but prett...