Sunday, May 19, 2024
Spaghettified monkey
I’ve just finished M. D. Thalmann’s novella Europa Affair, which is absolutely terrible. It ends on a synchronistically interesting note, though, as the character Peter, who is a genetically enhanced baboon, activates an app called Monkey-B-2, which results in his “spaghettification.” What exactly that means is not really clear, as the writing is so atrocious, but it obviously ties in with William Wright’s monkey named Spaghetti.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular posts
-
Following up on the idea that the pecked are no longer alone in their bodies , reader Ben Pratt has brought to my attention these remarks by...
-
In a comment on " Drill, baby, drill! " Bill writes, referring to my posts about the poem by Christina Rossetti: The last, and it ...
-
“ Turnum outknaves all three ” sent me back to my 2023 dream post “ Narrative Reasoning ,” which begins with a quote from Turnus and ends wi...
-
It's been a while since I clicked for a randomly selected /x/ thread . I tried it today just in the spirit of "Is this thing on?...
-
Back on August 17, Bruce Charlton posted an episode from the old children's TV show Pipkins (which I had never heard of), in which Hart...
-
Mark your calendars, and in the meantime find something else to read. Note added: For those who have asked, nothing is wrong, and my decisi...
-
But Men shall remember Atlantis's name Come hell or high water! Sith both of them came, It rests unforgotten, and what we now tell Skill...
-
In a comment on " Ascending to the black star ," Bill brought up a game called The Blue Prince , and so on a random whim I searche...
-
This morning, a preschooler dropped a case of alphabet stamps. These had been in alphabetical order, but when he picked them up, he paid no ...
-
My mention of a "Buddhist text" in my last post was probably misleading, making it sound like I was poring over Mahayana scriptur...
3 comments:
My son was fascinated by black holes when he a little tyke, until he discovered that those venturing too near to one would be spahettified. The term refers to the tidal forces of black holes; that is the horizontal stretching and horizontal compression of objects nearing black holes into very long and thin shapes, like spaghetti.
With that in mind, this book sounds like it could slip into the "so bad it's good" category.
That’s my only context for spaghettification, too, so I don’t get how it was caused by a software app. It resulted time ceasing to exist for the baboon, and its malevolence being spread throughout the universe.
There are definitely “so bad it’s good” aspects to the book, but only if you have the stomach for extremely graphic gross-out violence.
I've just noticed that I should have written vertical stretching. In any case, how a software app could possibly generate such tidal forces is quite inconceivable, even within the framework of "out there" science fiction.
I have too many "too good it is good" books lined up on my to-read list to consider giving this one a go in the near future, but if the mood to read something outlandish and gross strikes me, I could give it a whirl. Truth is, I haven't read too many stories featuring genetically enhanced baboons, so there is that.
Post a Comment