Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Swampgas Newsboy, by Bob Dictionary

"Perseus with the gorilla's head" brought together one of my youngest sister's childhood creations and a boy called Encyclopedia. That juxtaposition made me think of another of that same sister's childhood creations: a man named Dictionary.

When she was still extremely young, but old enough to write, my sister started producing a handwritten "newspaper" called News Norm.  All the stories were made up, and they included everything from election results to the shocking story of a woman who murdered her husband by poisoning his waffles. (The News Norm funnies page that day had a Family Circus style strip in which the mother was cooking waffles and a Jeffy-like boy was saying, "I hope they're not poisoned!")

One of the News Norm stories was about a heist in which three valuable paintings were stolen from a museum, and pictures of the three paintings were included in the article. The paintings were (I don't know why I have such a photographic memory for this kind of stuff) Rushing Wind by Popma Sandgas, Um Um Um by Mickey and Minnie, and Swampgas Newsboy by Bob Dictionary. This last painting depicted what I guess was a newspaper being delivered by a cloud of swamp gas. The paper was sitting on a doorstep with a big green cloud hovering over it. Here's an AI recreation:


I don't have anything deep to say about this. I just wanted to log it in case it becomes relevant, what with the "swamp" theme and all.


Note added: Speaking of the "swamp" theme, I just ran across this while cleaning out some old meme folders:

No comments:

Sawtooth and cereal

This was an unexpected T-shirt sighting in central Taiwan: And this was funny in light of all the recent cereal syncs: Update: WW recently ...