Friday, August 2, 2024

Spelt, heart, nothing else

My last post is called "Couldn't be much more from the heart," a line from the Metallica song "Nothing Else Matters," and connects that song with the Ace of Hearts. The connection was an  arpeggio on the A page of Animalia which sounds like the intro to "Nothing Else Matters" and also spells out the word ACE.

Today, one of my students was wearing a T-shirt covered with Mickey Mouse comic strips as background, but most of the speech balloons were wholly or partially occluded by additional images of Mickey and Minnie. The most legible balloons, front and center on the T-shirt, were these two:

It's not a great quality photo, but Minnie says "Spelt, heart of palm and bean curd! My invention!" In the next panel, Mickey says, "Ah, so there's nothing else?"

Spelt is a kind of grain but can also be a past tense of the verb spell. "Nothing Else Matters" came up because of an arpeggio that "spelt" out the word ACE.

Then we have the heart, in the form of "heart of palm" -- singular, even though the plural is much more common. I wasn't too clear on what hearts of palm look like, so I ran an image search and got this:

The brand name is Golden, and the can contains "Whole 100% pure hearts of palm." The Ace of Hearts sync theme had been closely tied to the phrases "heart of gold" and "pure in heart." Even whole is a link to "ace in the hole."

Mormon scripture defines Zion as "the pure in heart." This may shed light on the "palm" connection:

But Zion said, The Lord hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me.

Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee. Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands (Isa. 49:14-116).

No comments:

Sawtooth and cereal

This was an unexpected T-shirt sighting in central Taiwan: And this was funny in light of all the recent cereal syncs: Update: WW recently ...