Friday, November 27, 2020

Make them ask every time.

To my friends here in Taiwan, please note this little loophole in the totalitarian law that takes effect on December 1.


That's right, you can't be fined unless you actually defy a request to put on your tin foil hat. A sign in the window is not a request. "Everyone else is doing it" is not a request. Make the bastards ask you every single time. Then, of course, put on the damn hat. Why voluntarily donate more of your hard-earned money to a totalitarian regime?

And, should you happen to own or operate one of the targeted venues (my own establishment is happily exempt!), don't ever ask anyone to comply with this law. Remember, if no one asks them, they're not in violation -- or can't be fined, anyway.

Obviously, this is not official legal advice and is based only on press releases. My Chinese isn't good enough to read the law itself. Anyway, it's what I intend to do, and I advise the same to everyone else. Do what you have to do, but do not go gentle.

Break their teeth, O God, in their mouth! Break out the great teeth of the young lions!

2 comments:

A said...

In Michigan the rules apparently have no actual enforcement power behind them, but almost everyone still masks up.

I found one strategy, which may or may not work for you, is completely and totally ignore people who ask you to wear a mask. Just pretend not to hear the muffled noises (because they actually are hard to hear). As you said, simply be polite and comply if the Police appear...

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

Pretending not to understand Chinese is always an option, too, though I’d feel guilty about abusing my White Privilege like that.

Build and strengthen

Last night I was once again creating a glossary to accompany an English reading assignment for my Taiwanese students. The article had to do ...