Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Don . . . Quixote?

Yesterday, the number 121 kept coming up. My wife was running the washing machine and asked me to check how much time was left on it. It was 1 hour 21 minutes. Later, when I stopped at a gas station, the attendant said, "Is $121 okay?"

In the evening I went to a used bookstore and was drawn like a magnet to a slim volume called Parsifal and the Search for the Grail by Charles Kovacs -- lecture notes for use in Steiner-Waldorf schools -- and knew I should turn to page 121.

With this story we leave the brave knight Don Quixote, a man who really had some of the qualities of the true knights -- courage, love for battle, the wish to combat evil -- but, alas, lacked common sense and lived in a world of fantasy and illusion. And we also leave Sancho Panza, who had commonsense, but could not understand noble ideals and principles at all. . . .

In the end Don Quixote returns to La Mancha, his home village, and falls ill. But as death approaches he awakes from his dream of knights, and he dies with a clear mind, whilst Sancho Panza cries and weeps at the loss of a master who -- even in his folly -- was a good man, a man who strove for goodness.

3 comments:

A said...

Chelsea Clinton claims she told her son Aidan, four, that ‘it’s the 21st day of the 21st year in the 21st century’ and he responded ‘Yeah, but it’s cooler it’s Joe Biden’s first full day in the White House.’

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

Wait, Chelsea Clinton has a son? I'd always assumed she was batting for the other team.

Sean G. said...

After reading many of your synchronicity posts I was recently bombarded with them myself. I won't bore you with the details but my recent obsession with magic has led me down many rabbit holes. One led to an interview with David Blaine who said that Don Quixote is the greatest artistic achievement in the world. He expressed his love for the book which he credits with inspiring Spain's magicians, whom he considers the best.

I haven't read it and was thinking about it today. And now it's popped up again because "the number 121 kept coming up". Cheers to you.

Susan, Aslan, and dot-connecting

On April 22, William Wright posted " Shushan! ", which included a clip from the James Bond spoof movie  Johnny English Reborn  in ...