Thursday, January 21, 2021

Not against flesh and blood

On my way home from work last night -- before the inauguration, which took place at 1:00 a.m. Taiwan time -- I stopped at the corner store to buy something. When I was going to leave, I needed to push my scooter forward to disengage the parking mechanism, but one of the store employees was standing right in front of it, sweeping the pavement, so I stood and waited for her. Thus it was that I noticed what was written on the back of her T-shirt:

EPH. 6:11-17
ARMOR OF GOD
JESUS FOREVER

Only about 4% of the Taiwanese are Christians, and this woman may well not have been one of them. English text is often used decoratively, without regard for its meaning.

I think I have adequately demonstrated my ability to connect absolutely anything to Joan of Arc. Seeing this T-shirt, I immediately thought, Great is Diana of the Ephesians! I had already made the connection between the virgin archer-goddess, la pucelle d'arc, and the Maid. "Ephesians," in context, was a reference to wearing armor, which also fits. I also noticed the numbers: 6 + 11 = 17 = Q.

On the way home, I passed some Roman-style banners that had been put out to advertise something: white, with a big red number 1.8 on them. Hints of the Battle of New Orleans again, in Saint George's color scheme.

After the inauguration, I checked Vox Popoli and found this comment:

I admit, I am feeling pretty despairing. But our struggle was never against flesh and blood, but against principalities and powers of darkness. Even if my rapidly vanishing hopes of an eleventh hour turnaround are proven wrong, even if this really has been all cope, the lesson I will learn is that Jesus really is our only hope, our only salvation.

May He preserve us.

Some hours later, I thought I might as well look up Ephesians 6:11-17. I already knew what it was -- the "armor of God" bit -- but had forgotten that this is also where the line about not wrestling against flesh and blood is found.

[11] Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

[12] For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

[13] Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

[14] Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

[15] And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

[16] Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

[17] And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

Whatever the final denouement of this lying dog-faced pony show may turn out to be, that remains solid advice. Keep the faith, and remember the words of the Maid: I am not afraid. I was born for this. The evil day is upon us; now, having done all, stand.

Jesus forever!

5 comments:

Ben Pratt said...

Bruce to a degree, but especially you, have got me trying to be more open to noticing synchronicities. This morning I saw the second man wearing a trench coat in three days. I live in the Phoenix area and haven't seen trench coats in many years, so the first one stood out to me. But a second one, on a man walking in the median right where I couldn't miss it!?

A trench coat is, of course, the stereotypical garb of spies doing spycraft, so the immediate thought for me each time was that shenanigans are definitely afoot.

Also today, I noticed a new quote my wife had written on a white board. She's reading Saints volume 1 and reached the Zion's Camp chapter. Perhaps you can imagine my reaction to reading it: "God is in this storm."

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

Something just told me to read v. 21 in that chapter of Ephesians -- you know, because it's the 21st and everything.

"But that ye also may know my affairs, and how I do, Tychicus, a beloved brother and faithful minister in the Lord, shall make known to you all things:"

Is that a shout-out, Paul?

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

Shenanigans! Biden won't like that. And what if things escalate to . . . malarkey?

Francis Berger said...

I'm not suggesting this means anything, but I posted Esphesians 6:11-18 (an extra verse) back in June. I can't recall what prompted me do so, but my commentary in the post mirrors yours here. The comments for the post are also interesting (in my humble opinion anyway).

https://www.francisberger.com/bergers-blog/we-wrestle-not-against-flesh-and-blood

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

I see you actually cited Ephesians 6:10-18, which is by far the more common reference.

Ephesians 6:10-18 - 261,000 Google hits
Ephesians 6:11-18 - 151,000 hits
Ephesians 6:10-17 - 110,000 hits
Ephesians 6:11-17 - 43,800 hits

For those who haven't followed the link, one of the comments on Frank's post is: "WWG1WGA .. the storm is coming and we are on the side of the Lord"

Annunciation rescheduled to coincide with eclipse

I just saw this on Ann Barnhardt's blog : March 25th is the fixed date of the great Feast of the Annunciation… BUT since March 25th fall...