Sunday, November 12, 2023

Narrative Reasoning

Another little clue.

I dreamed I was in my study and heard a voice declaiming — “like an old-fashioned actor,” I thought — “Glory of the sky, who brought you down to me, cloudborne to earth?”

It’s a line I know well, from Book IX of the Aeneid, the words of Turnus addressing the goddess Iris. Too awestruck at the sight of this heavenly messenger to wait for an answer to his very important question, Turnus rashly vows, “I’ll obey this great presage, no matter who you are who call me.” In fact, Iris has been sent by an enemy, and the presage leads Turnus to his death.

My dreaming mind understood the voice to be asking who had brought Iris Murdoch’s book down from my shelf and, symbolically, down from the Empire State Building. (The original owner of the book, which I think I bought in Virginia Beach, purchased it at Penn Station, which is like a nine-minute walk from the ESB. I like to imagine the book has been inside the building itself.)

I looked up at the empty space on my shelf where The Philosopher’s Pupil had been, only to find that it was empty no longer. In its place was a very thick book bound in green leather with gold lettering on the spine. My first impression was that it looked like a Quran, but when I read the title, it was Narrative Reasoning.

As soon as I had read the title, I woke up.

8 comments:

Ra1119bee said...



William,

When dreaming( with our physical eyes closed ) our Soul takes the helm,
as we must go through the blackness/nigredo/darkness in order to get to the light
(the Third Eye).

Our Third Eye becomes the 'ship' to take us to the other side,
perhaps the other side is the fifth dimension as Rod Serling spoke of.

Isn't it interesting that Sailors and Marines say Aye Aye (Eye Eye ?)
to Superiors especially to NAVAL Officers and Marine Officers
( especially to the Ship's Captain).

The Sailors salute is a gesture of touching the forehead
( which the forehead is where the Third Eye is housed (in the pineal gland).
The Third Eye is our Ship's Captain.

I believe that when we incarnate, we all are 'sailors' in this
bitter sea duality dimension.

The water (which is the Marie/ Mary i.e. M ) is female energy and
serves as a conduit.
The letter M (male) turned upward..... becomes W (Woman).

In Ian Fleming's James Bond, M is Bond's 'captain'.

As you well know, The alchemist, occultist , mathematician, astrologer, astronomer,
AND NAVIGATOR John Dee, whom Ian Fleming's James Bond is based on,
signed his name to his letters to the Queen with OO ( which are two physical
eyes ) and the number 7. Number 7 being the number of completeness.

For your Eyes Only...






Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

I looked at all my books, and I only have one that at all resembles the book I saw in my dream. It’s not leather, but it’s large and green with gold lettering: a volume of Joyce which contains the “Sleep Now” poem that led to Murdoch’s book being “replaced” by a lecture from Tim.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

The Joyce book isn’t in my study, by the way, but on the overflow shelves on the third floor.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

Possibly relevant: When I stared my Book of Mormon blog, I was originally going to have a blue leather background as wallpaper -- alluding to the iconic blue BoMs given out by missionaries. I quickly changed my mind, though, since my blog was going to be approaching the BoM from a non-CJCLDS point of view. I considered and rejected a gold background, and then for some reason I decided that green leather would be just right. In the end, though, I couldn't find any tiling green leather images I liked, so I ended up going with the leaf print I have now.

I can explain all those ideas except one. Blue leather for the CJCLDS BoM, gold for the gold plates, foliage for the idea of "experimenting upon the word" by planting a seed and letting it grow -- but why green leather? That idea just appeared out of nowhere.

WanderingGondola said...

Green as with, say... a door?

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

In Mary E. Wilkins Freeman's story "The Green Door," one time-traveler comes through a green door; the other, through a book with a green ribbon on it.

WanderingGondola said...

And there's "Freeman" again.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

Yes, I noticed that.

Green Door juxtaposed with "Who sent you?" (Turnus's question) here:
https://narrowdesert.blogspot.com/2023/01/hurry-up-cakes.html

Happy birthday, Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir

Today I was listening to "Mountain Sound" by Of Monsters and Men and wondered what the lead vocalist's name was. I looked her ...